Services for William F. Wilhelm, founder of a fuel oil and petroleum products company in Randallstown, will be held at 11 a.m. today at Loring Byers funeral establishment, 8728 Liberty Road.
Mr. Wilhelm, who was 88 and lived in Eldersburg, died Wednesday at the Old Court Nursing Center after a long illness.
In 1932, he started the company now known as Wilhelm Energy Services Inc., which deals in petroleum and related products in Baltimore, Howard and Carroll counties.
It initially dealt in coal, kerosene and motor oil and included a general store on Windsor Mill Road in Woodlawn that was run by his wife.
He retired in 1975 as chairman of the board.
A native of Upperco who was reared in Rayville, he earlier worked in Baltimore for the Penmar Oil Co., where he learned to mix lubricating oils for motors.
During World War II, he also worked for the Koppers Co.
He was a member of the Carroll County Fuel Oil Dealers Association and the Mid-Atlantic Petroleum Distributors Association.
A member of the Salem United Methodist Church in Hebbville, heearlier belonged to the Sudbrook United Methodist Church and originally to the Pine Grove Church in Rayville.
He is survived by his wife of 65 years, the former Mary L. Warner; two sons, Dale L. Wilhelm and William F. Wilhelm Jr., both of Eldersburg; two daughters, Mildred Leppert of Owings Mills and Helen Mentzel of Woodlawn; a brother, Thomas Wilhelm of Freeland; a sister, Emma Calp of Freeland; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.