Walbrook tops Mount St. Joe, 68-62

January 30, 1991|By Derek Toney

After being upset in their first meeting of the season, Walbrook wanted to get even yesterday against Mount. St. Joseph, but the No. 8 Warriors came close to repeating the loss to the No. 5 Gaels, before finally holding on for a 68-62 win, in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference Division I game at the University of Baltimore.

Walbrook's win also helped it retain second place in the division at 6-2, 9-4 overall. Mount St. Joseph is third with a 3-3 mark, 15-6 overall. Dunbar leads the division at 7-0. The top four finishers in each division advance to the MSA A Conference playoffs, beginning in late February.

Junior forward Jermaine Porter led the Warriors with 20 points. Shamar Bass added 13 and six rebounds. Stevie Thomas and Rodney Beasley each had 11.

Porter keyed Walbrook down the stretch, first by hitting a jumper that tied the game at 54, with 5 minutes, 32 seconds remaining in the game.

With Walbrook leading, 60-58, Porter blocked a shot by the Gaels' Darrin Jones then another by Jeff Servidio at the top of the three-point circle, which he converted into a layup.

"Well, I wasn't going for the block," said Porter, 6 feet 6. "I was putting my hands up, trying to distract them so they couldn't get the shot off because that's all they did the first time, but luckily, I blocked them."

Mount St. Joseph defeated the Warriors, 82-76, on Dec. 18, as it jumped to a big first-half advantage.

The scenario changed yesterday, as Walbrook built a 35-25 halftime lead, but the Warriors fell apart in the third quarter, missing on 17 of 21 attempts from the field.

Using a 17-3 run, Mount St. Joseph gained its first lead of the game, at 45-44, after a three-point play by Ronald Issacs, with 36 seconds left in the third quarter.

The Warriors led 51-47, before the Gaels went on a 7-1 run, capped by a three-point play by Jones, to take only their second and final lead at 54-52 with 6:01 remaining.

"We didn't play well in the first half," said Mount St. Joseph coach Pat Maggio. "We fought back and took the lead for a little while, but we got beat on the boards. They some offensive boards, and that hurt us."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.