Delaware rolls over Navy, 102-80

January 29, 1991|By Jerry Bembry | Jerry Bembry,Sun Staff Correspondent

ANNAPOLIS -- Navy won a basketball game over the weekend, but for the fans who witnessed last night's home loss to Delaware, that might have been difficult to believe.

The Blue Hens were able to hold off every Navy surge, and at the same time amassed their second highest point total of the season in a 102-80 win before 1,209 at Halsey Field House.

Delaware (7-10) had been struggling after two straight losses -- including a defeat that ended UMBC's 14-game losing streak last week -- but definitely got a boost in confidence in scoring its most points against a Division I team on the road. It also marked the most points against Navy since a since a 79-76 loss at Halsey Field house in 1957. It was Delaware's second road win of the season and just the third in the past two years.

"It was discouraging because we played so well in the second half on Saturday," Navy coach Herrmann said of the team's 65 percent second half shooting in the 94-82 win at American. "We just half to shoot the ball better then this."

The Midshipmen shot 36 percent (27 of 75), with John Haase leading the way with 15. But the 6-foot-4 forward sprained his left ankle with 11:48 remaining and had his foot X-rayed after the game.

Delaware shot a season high 60.6 percent (40 of 66), which was aided by 6 of 6 three-point shooting and seven dunks. Guard Mark Murray scored a season high 21 points to lead Navy, which placed five players in double figures. The Midshipmen (6-13) had trailed by 14 early in the second half but pulled to within five, 59-54, after Sam Cook hit a three-pointer -- one of seven Navy three-pointers in the second half -- with 14:32 remaining.

But Delaware's Murray converted a three-point play to make it 62-54 as the Blue Hens went on an 18-7 run. Navy responded with seven straight points to pull to within 77-68 with 6:11 left, but Delaware guard Kevin Blackhurst hit a three-pointer and the Blue Hens outscored Navy, 23-12 the rest of the way.

Navy missed its first nine field goals, and Delaware took a 13-1 lead in the opening five minutes. Delaware also closed the half scoring the final nine.

"This was the first time we put a full game together," said Delaware coach Steve Steinwedel. "We're starting to come together as a unit."

At the same time that Navy is coming apart. In addition to Haase, who had a game-high 24 points on Saturday, back-up small forward Chuck Robinson left the game in the second half with a sprained left ankle and was also X-rayed. Their status is unknown for Navy's Colonial Athletic Association game Saturday East Carolina.

"We both of them out we're limited," Herrmann said. "It hurt us because John was playing very well. We just have to regroup and see who's healthy for the trip."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.