Judge Denies Strissel Request For Less Jail Time

January 29, 1991|By Paul Shread | Paul Shread,Staff writer

Former Annapolis Housing Authority Director Arthur G. Strissel's latest effort to reduce his 10-year prison sentence has been denied.

Strissel's attorneys had filed a motion earlier this month asking U.S. District Court Judge John R. Hargrove to reconsider a Dec. 4 decision that Strissel must serve his full sentence.

Hargrove denied that motion last week.

In his Jan. 22 order, he said he didn't see sufficient cause for reducing the sentence or conducting a hearing on the request.

Strissel began serving his sentence in April 1989. His next hope for early release will be parole, for which he won't become eligible until he has served about three years of his sentence.

Strissel has served about 21 months of the sentence he received for his 1988 conviction on 10 counts of bribery, wire fraud and racketeering. He also was ordered to pay a $45,000 fine.

A jury convicted Strissel of taking bribes and kickbacks from

contractors in exchange for giving them housing authority business.

The first motion, filed Dec. 3, said Strissel and his family had been devastated by the sentence.

The motion said Strissel had suffered a knee injury in prison and needed a cane to walk. His sons and his first-grade daughter "face taunts and derision from their peers," court papers said.

Strissel's wife, Dolores, "has developed a pre-cancerous condition that requires examinations and biopsies, which she can hardly afford," the court documents said.

Strissel "feels, as he should, personally responsible for all the pain, all of the anxiety, and all of the suffering which his family has felt throughout the ordeal," the papers said.

The judge denied the motion the followingday, saying the sentence was fair and reasonable.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.