A Fire Department lieutenant died last night at the University of Maryland Medical Center after suffering an apparent heart attack while fighting a fire at a rowhouse in the 800 block of W. Lombard St., police said.
Police said that while fighting the fire, Lt. John Plummer, 47, assigned to Engine Company 23, left the house complaining of feeling light-headed.
Police said Plummer collapsed on the pavement and immediately was placed in an ambulance, where medics gave him oxygen on the scene and then on the way to the hospital.
Efforts to revive Plummer continued in the emergency room, until he was pronounced dead at 10:20 p.m.
Plummer had been a firefighter since 1968 and with Engine Company 23 since 1987.
Police said the single-alarm fire broke out inside the Lombard Street home shortly after 9 p.m. when one of several candles used by the occupant, Brenda Barr, 34, ignited something in a second-floor front room.
Police said the rowhouse was without electricity and that Barr was using several candles throughout the house for light.
Police said it was believed that before retiring last night, Barr FTC extinguished several candles but that one of them apparently remained lighted and ignited something in the room.
Police said the fire caused $15,000 damage to the structure and another $5,000 to its contents. The blaze was confined to the second-floor room and was declared under control at 9:20 p.m.