Maryland holds on, 104-100 Smith's free throws stop N.C. State

January 27, 1991|By Don Markus | Don Markus,Sun Staff Correspondent

COLLEGE PARK — Because of an editing error, an article in Sunday's editions incorrectly stated that Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams formerly coached at Boston University and that the Terrapins face Ohio State this season. Mr. Williams once was coach at Boston College, and Ohio State is not on the Maryland basketball schedule this season.

COLLEGE PARK -- Gary Williams said last week that he would suit up for yesterday's University of Maryland alumni basketball game if his Terrapins beat North Carolina State at Cole Field House.

The Terps complied, and so did Williams.

After building a 17-point lead, Maryland survived a record number of three-point shots and hung on for a 104-100 Atlantic Coast Conference upset before 14,203.


"I think this will show we can beat a lot of teams, even without Walt [Williams]," said junior forward Garfield Smith, whose two free throws with seven seconds remaining sealed the victory.

It was the third straight victory for Maryland (11-7 overall, 2-4 in the ACC), but more significantly, was the first for the Terps in the league since Williams fractured his left fibula two weeks ago against Duke.

Senior guard Matt Roe had career highs of 29 points and 10 rebounds for Maryland, but the play of junior forward Vince Broadnax probably made the biggest difference. Broadnax scored a career-high 24, but held Rodney Monroe to 11 second-half points after the ACC's leading scorer had 20 at halftime.

"I was really impressed with our people," said Gary Williams, whose team shot 58 percent from the field. "We did not have a great practice Thursday, and I was not sure if we were going to be ready. But we played a solid game, and we scored when we had to."

The Terps made 20 of their first 32 shots from the field, and raced to a 50-37 lead late in the first half. After leading, 54-44, at halftime, Maryland continued to make a majority of its shots and led, 73-56, on a layup by Broadnax with 13 minutes, 21 seconds remaining.

But N.C. State (10-5, 3-2), coming off an upset of No. 9 Duke charged back. The Wolfpack abandoned its set offense for a one-dimensional game: the three-point shot. Eight of the next 14 field-goals were from long-range -- senior guard Chris Corchiani had five, junior forward Tom Gugliotta had three -- to pull within 99-93 with 1:35 to go.

"When we got down by so much, we were hoping we could get into a position to win, which we did," said Corchiani, who after missing his first 10 shots, made nine of 11 in the second half to finish with 28 points. "The thing that made a difference was the effort. Maryland wanted it more than we did.

"I didn't get nervous until they got within three," said sophomore point guard Kevin McLinton, "but I knew we were going to win."

By then, McLinton was a spectator, having fouled out with 1:13 left and Corchiani about to cut Maryland's lead to 100-95. After junior guard Matthew Downing made the second of two free throws for the Terps, Wolfpack forward Bryant Feggins dunked and was fouled. His three-point play cut the lead to three with 51 seconds left.

"At that point, you knew they were going to try to get us on the line," said Roe. "You hope you're going to hit a majority of your foul shots."

Again, Downing made the second of two free throws. N.C. State misunderstood coach Les Robinson's hand signals and called its final timeout. Gugliotta missed a three-point shot, and Cedric Lewis was caught going over the top of Monroe's shoulder for the rebound. Monroe made both free throws.

The Maryland lead was 102-100. There were 34 seconds to play. After the Terps played keep-away for 27 of them, Smith was hacked by Corchiani, who fouled out. Having taken only 11 free throws all season, and making just four of them, Smith had been perfect on his first three attempts yesterday.

"You could look at a guy and tell," said Gary Williams. "I looked at Garfield and I knew he was going to make them."

"I knew I had to make them both to make it safe," said Smith, who along with Lewis had 15 points. "Once I hit the first one, I started smiling."

And once he made the second, Cole Field House erupted. Monroe missed a three-point shot, and the Maryland players began to celebrate their third victory in four games since Williams got hurt.

"I thought Maryland played a gutty game; they shot the ball extremely well," said Robinson, whose team broke ACC records for three-point shots made (16) and attempted (42). "We had a hard time. We didn't run out of gas, we ran out of time."

The victory put the pressure on Gary Williams, who made his promise on a post-game radio show last Wednesday after the Terps had beaten BU. It took a little coaxing -- "I need to get taped," he said, stalling -- but Williams made it out onto the Cole Field House floor where he played 25 years ago.

It took a couple of minutes for Williams to get a shot, but finally he took a three-pointer. Air ball.

Fortunately, Maryland shot a lot better.

NOTES: McLinton had a career-high 12 assists for Maryland. . . . The Terps play Tuesday night against American University -- along with Boston University and Ohio State, the third former employer Williams will face this season.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.