Maynard stops Curry at 2:30 of fifth

January 25, 1991|By Alan Golstein

Former Olympic light-heavyweight champion Andrew Maynard of Laurel, who had tried the art of boxing with only moderate success, turned warrior again last night in stopping Robert Curry of Clarksburg, W.Va., at 2 minutes, 30 seconds of the fifth round of their scheduled 10-round main event at Painters Mill Theatre.

Maynard (14-1, 11 knockouts) dropped Curry five times, ending the mismatch with two knockdowns in the fifth.

He used a double hook to floor Curry in the fifth, but the overblown middleweight, who did not lack for heart, staggered to hisfeet. Another barrage by Maynard dumped Curry on his face, apparently as much from exhaustion as from the cumulative effect of the blows.

Maynard, 26, sought to change his style after suffering his first professional loss last summer when he was knocked out by former light-heavyweight champion Bobby Czyz. He hired Junius Hinton in place of Pepe Correa to be his trainer and Hinton revived the brawling style that led to a gold medal in Seoul, South Korea.

Maynard showed his frustration last night when he failed to finish Curry sooner.

"The way he was all bent over, I couldn't hit him with a lot of clean shots," he said. "I got frustrated not being able to put punches together. He really didn't want to fight, and it took me out of my game plan."

A crowd of 1,800 turned out for Maynard's first pro fight in the Maryland area and cheered him on as he floored Curry in each of the first three rounds. Each time the bell rescued the West Virginian.

"I kept saying, 'Let's mix it up,' " said Maynard, "but he was just trying to survive. I tried to get to his body, but he was fighting like a tortoise. I wanted to give my fans a good show, but he was just a taker."

Said Hinton: "It's back to the drawing board. Tonight, Andrew learned that scared fighters don't get knocked out easily. It's tough breaking open habits. Andrew just has to be a little more patient, and he'll get the job done."

Norfolk junior middleweight Mark "Buck" Buchanon (11-2) upset William Galliwango, rated No. 4 in the International Boxing Federation intercontinental welterweight rankings, by stopping him at 2:20 of the seventh round of their scheduled eight-round semifinal.

The first four fights on the under card -- all scheduled four-rounders -- lasted less than a total of eight rounds. Edwin Newby of Atlantic City, N.J., looked far better than his 4-3-1 record in stopping Baltimore's Cecil Sims at 2:20 of the second round.

Welterweight Pony Matador (3-0-1) of Baltimore, who hails from Uganda, displayed explosive power in stopping Shae Laurel of Norfolk, Va., after 65 seconds of the first round.

Rockville welterweight Glen Randolf landed the heavier punches and floored Lorenzo Whitehead of Washington in the second round with an overhand right to gain a unanimous decision in a four-round slugfest.

Baltimore middleweight Gerry Walker (4-2-1) outclassed Tracey Brown of Richmond, hurting him with every punch before referee Paul Milligan ended the mismatch at 2:10 of the first round.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.