Terps send in right team in 85-59 rout of Boston U. Roe's 19 points lead balanced attack

January 23, 1991|By Don Markus | Don Markus,Sun Staff Correspondent

COLLEGE PARK -- In describing last year's five-point defeat to Boston University, Maryland center Cedric Lewis said, "We had two Terp teams last year and that night, the wrong one showed up."

The Terrapins, whose on-court personality remains a bit schizophrenic, sent the right team into Cole Field House for last night's rematch with the Terriers. The rematch turned out to be a mismatch.

After BU guard Reggie Stewart cooled down late in the first half, Maryland and its press heated up. The result was 18 straight points for the Terps shortly before and immediately after halftime and an easy 85-59 victory.

"I thought we did a pretty good job coming off of Saturday's win," said Maryland coach Gary Williams, referring to a game in which the Terps came from 17 points down at halftime to beat South Florida in Tampa. "We respected BU, but it was a tough game to get ready for."

Not that difficult, considering last year's loss to the Terriers. Though BU was bound for a 20-win season and the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament, the defeat was one of the most disheartening for the Terps and Williams.

Williams didn't allow his players to watch a videotape of the game in Boston, in part because the personnel of both teams had changed considerably. Only two current Maryland players, along with injured point guard Walt Williams, took part in it.

"He thought it was too embarrassing," said Matt Roe, who was shooting in Cole Field House and listening on the radio.

Last night, Roe was shooting in the same place, this time hitting eight of 14 from the field for a team-high 19 points. So was Lewis, who made six of seven shots for 15 points. Garfield Smith added 13, and Evers Burns scored 11 off the bench.

Maryland's balance overcame Stewart's hot start. After hitting five of his first six shots, and seven of his first 12 in a 20-point first half, Stewart ended up 11 of 21, tying a career-high 30 points for BU (6-10).

"We knew he was a great player," Williams said of Stewart, who scored 18 points against the Terps last year. "He got 20 in the first half, but the rest of the team got six. We didn't mind that too much."

Nor did they mind watching a close game -- the Terps led, 21-19, with a little over 11 minutes left in the first half -- turn into a blowout. Maryland (9-7) scored the last six points of a 41-26 first half and the the first 12 points of the second half, eventually building its lead to 30.

Though things got a bit sloppy after the Terps went up 59-29 with 4:54 gone in the half, the Terriers never threatened despite cutting their deficit to 19.

"They're just a better team that we are," said first-year BU coach Bob Brown. "They're bigger. They're stronger. But I don't think they played any harder."

Though Williams refused to show his players the tape of last year's game ("We had two pros [Jerrod Mustaf and Tony Massenburg], and they beat us," he said) it didn't mean that he didn't -- uh -- quietly discuss it a few times in practice.

"It was mentioned," he said last night. "That game really hurt us. Hopefully, that was a motivator."

Said Stewart: "We knew this was going to be a tough game for us. They were pretty upset last year. I figured they were going to be waiting for us to get down here for some revenge."

Maryland got some last night.

NOTES: Point guards Kevin McLinton and Matthew Downing had their best game collectively since Walt Williams was injured 12 days ago against Duke. McLinton had six points and nine assists, Downing added eight points and five assists off the bench. . . . The Terps return to league play Saturday at home against N.C. State.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.