Tonight's main event
* BOSTON at DETROIT (7:30 p.m.): The Celtics are 3-3 without Larry Bird, out indefinitely with a bad back. The Pistons lost 108-100 at Boston Garden on Dec. 8 in the teams' only meeting this season.
* THE STARS: Portland Trail Blazers' Terry Porter. Scored nine of his 14 points in the final 3:14 to lead Portland to a 116-112 victory over Milwaukee. Porter had a three-pointer, a layup and four clinching free throws down the stretch as the Blazers avenged one of their seven losses.
* SUPERB IN DEFEAT: Milwaukee guard Jay Humphries had 27 points and seven assists in the Bucks' loss at Portland yesterday. Humphries was 12 of 18 from the field and scored 16 points in the Bucks' 41-point third quarter.
* SHOOTING BLANKS: Milwaukee guard Jeff Grayer was 2-for-9 from the field yesterday against Portland.
* STEALS: Milwaukee guard Alvin Robertson had four steals against Portland, raising his league-leading average to 3.7 per game.
* STARTS: Portland's victory over Milwaukee yesterday gave the Trail Blazers a 34-7 record at the midway point of the season. Projected for the entire season, the Blazers would finish 68-14, matching the third-best mark in league history.
* STEPPIN' OUT: Portland guard Danny Ainge was 3-for-4 from three-point range against Milwaukee. Ainge is 57 of 135 from behind the arc, a .422 percentage that ranks fourth in the league.
* SLOPPY: Portland guard Clyde Drexler had six turnovers against Milwaukee. Drexler leads the Trail Blazers with 127 turnovers.
* FINAL WORD: "We just don't seem to get any respect even though we've won more games than any team in the league except this one [Portland] and Boston."