S. River Dethroned In Southern Invitational

January 21, 1991|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff writer

Harold Love wasn't going to let another opportunity slip by.

Whenthe 171-pound South River wrestler scored a second-period reversal and put Howard's Dominique Pierre-Toussaint on his back for the second time Saturday, he pinned him.

Love was wrestling Pierre-Toussaint for the championship in the Southern Invitational tournament.

"Once I put him on his back in the first period, I knew I was going to do it again," said Love, who pinned all four of his tournament foes to raise his personal record to 13-5. "He was strong for the first period, then he just died. I wasn't going to let him get up."

South River (183 points), the tournament's champion last year, was dethroned by St. Mary's County's Chopticon (212.5). Love's victory helped the Seahawks finish ahead of countyrival Southern, which was third with 177.5 points in the 17-team field.

Northeast was 16th with 26 points; none of its wrestlers finished in the top four.

The Seahawks (6-1) are enjoying one of their best seasons under coach Chilly Orme, having earlier defeated county power Arundel High for the first time in the school's history. The tournament also provided a preview of South River's Feb. 5 dual meet match with Southern (5-2).

"I think we can beat South River in a dual meet," said Bulldogs coach Tyrone Neal, a former Southern wrestler and two-time state champion.

Neal assisted Orme at South River fornine years before taking the helm at his alma mater this year.

"I'd say Southern would have the advantage in a dual meet because Tyrone knows what I like to do," said Orme.

"But they had the advantagelast year and we beat them, so it's going to be close."

Southern got a scare in the tournament when heavyweight Robert Burley was taken from the gymnasium on a stretcher by paramedics after losing his overtime semifinal bout to Glenelg's Jason Stoddard. Burley, who was taken to the hospital, suffered dehydration and exhaustion but was released in time to watch the finals.

Love was one of two champions and one of four finalists for South River.

The other champion was No. 2-ranked 145-pounder Brian Hunt, who improved his personal record to 17-1 with his tough 2-1 victory over Hammond's James Burrell (18-3).

Southern's No. 2-ranked Jason Braithwait (152) handed Laurel's Chris Kluckhuhn his second loss in 22 matches, winning a 6-1 decision.

Braithwait, the Bulldogs' only champion, used a flashy five-pointtakedown in the last 10 seconds of the match to break a 1-1 tie. He improved to 18-0 with the victory.

Braithwait relied on finesse towin his match against the muscular and aggressive Kluckhuhn. The Laurel wrestler pressured him throughout the bout and even held a 1-0 lead in the match's second period.

"He had a nice single-leg takedown and I tried to use his strength against him," said Braithwait. "I used the move at the right time."

South River's Bill Whitcher (112)and Greg Nida (119) finished as runner-ups with 15-3 and 12-3 records, respectively. Southern's David Ley (140) and Chris Boston (160) also were runners-up.

Whitcher lost for the third time this season -- all via the decision route -- to Chopticon's No. 2-ranked Jeff Daigle. Nida dropped a 4-2 sudden-death overtime decision to Northern's No. 6-ranked Tony Lignelli.

Boston's match with Deric Holbrook (160) was tied at 2-2 before he was penalized twice -- for stalling and body slamming his opponent -- which made the difference in a 4-3 loss.

South River's Jim Chomas (152) and Andrew McMann were third, as were Southern's Keith Trader (125) and Matt Offer (171). Southern's Sherrard Neal (103) was fourth.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.