WESTMINSTER — TOWER HAS TOP PEOPLE
The East Middle School Treating Others With Equal Respect Committee has picked Beverly Thomas as its Teacher of the Month and Alexis Valliant as Student of the Month.
Thomas was nominated because she encourages her students and makes learning easier.
Alexis, a sixth-grader, was nominated by a fellow student.
STUDENTS MAKE THE NEWS
Students at Mount Airy Middle recently wrote, published and sold a 14-page newspaper.
The $273 in profit was used to help a needy family in the community.
The papers were written and sold during December, and presents and groceries were delivered to the family before the holidays.
In other school news:
* The Board of Education will have its regular monthly meeting at 9a.m. Feb. 13 at South Carroll High School.
* New Windsor Middle School students are displaying their art work at the Taneytown Library during January. The exhibit is open to the public during regular library hours.
* A group of second- through fifth-grade students at East Middle are involved in a writing exchange program with an English class at South Carroll High.
Students from both schools met in November. Since then, each high school student has written a story for an elementary schoolchild, based on topics they discussed last fall.
Some of the elementary school students also are writing stories for the high school teens. Both groups will meet again to share their writing.
* Matt Alexander, a University of Maryland student who worked on Sunrayce USA, spoke to technology education classes at Mount Airy Middle School earlier in January.
His topic was alternative power and transportation sources. He also spoke aboutthe development of the car entered in the Sunrayce USA.
* A physical education newsletter is issued each marking period at East Middle.
Developed by teacher Terry Borneman, the newsletter is intended to develop an increased interest in sports and fitness and to motivate students to work harder.
Six sports reporters, one for each team in the school, cover their teams, enter articles into the computer, and cut and paste the layouts.