Fire Damage At Macy's Is $3.5 Million

January 20, 1991|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff writer

A two-alarm fire Thursday night at Macy's Department Store in the Marley Station Mall caused $3.5 million in damage and forced the retailoutlet to close Friday.

Fire officials say the blaze was started by an electrical malfunction at 9:06 p.m. in a third-floor room used by employees to build floor displays.

They said sprinklers extinguished most of the flames, but firefighters had a tough time clearing smoke from the building.

No one was injured.

Fire Department spokesman Lt. Gary Sheckells said a second alarm was issued at 9:49 p.m. and the fire was under control by 1a.m. Friday morning.

"It wasn't as much getting the fire out as it was removing smoke from the building," Sheckells said.

He said building damage was estimated at $500,000 and damage to merchandise was estimated at $3 million.

Most of the damage to merchandise was caused by smoke and water, said Sheckells.

Sheckells said he did not know what merchandise had been ruined.

He said the store was closed Friday so fire officials could continue their investigation and store employees could finish cleaning up.

The fire occurred about 20 minutes before closing time and it was unknown how many shoppers remained in the building.

Sheckells said that by the time the first firefighters arrived, all Macy's shoppers and store employees were already in the parking lot.

Richard Hackett, general manager of the mall, said the mall sustained no damage and was not threatened in anyway. He said all sprinklers and alarms worked perfectly.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.