Rev. O. E. Fleming, St. John Baptist's founder, dies

January 19, 1991

Services for the Rev. Ollie E. Fleming, founder and pastor of the St. John Baptist Church, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Mount Pisgah Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, 1034 N. Fulton Ave.

Mr. Fleming, who was 84, died Monday after a brief illness at his home on Forest Garden Avenue in Lochearn.

He joined First Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Baltimore more than 25 years ago and was a minister at other Baptist churches in the area before starting his congregation. Earlier, he had been pastor of Colored Methodist Episcopal churches in Wilmington, Del., Winchester, Va., and the Baltimore area.

A resident of Baltimore for more than 50 years, he worked for more than 30 years at the Sparrows Point plant of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. before retiring in 1970. At various times he owned an East Baltimore grocery store and a Northwest Baltimore shoe repair shop and worked as a postal clerk and insurance agent.

A native of Elberton, Ga., he graduated from Paine College in Augusta, Ga., which awarded him an honorary doctorate.

He was a member of the United Baptist Missionary Convention of Maryland, the Baptist Pastors' Conference of Baltimore and Vicinity and two other groups for ministers, the Day Conference and the Evening Conference.

He is survived by his wife, the former Sarah L. Watson; two daughters, Jacqueline Fleming of Lochearn and Sandra Fleming Olney; three sisters Curtis McCurry and Elease Jones, both of Cleveland, and Naomia Allen of Hartwell, Ga.; three brothers, Holman and Cotrell Fleming, both of Elberton, and Ora D. Fleming of Cleveland; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.