Around the house
* When drying a few small items in your machine, toss in a towel to absorb moisture and to cut down on drying time. This will save energy and money.
* First impressions often count. Be sure to keep front door clean by spraying with all-purpose cleaner.
* Keep a supply of cat litter in the trunk of your car for extra weight on snowy days; litter can also be used around tires for traction on an icy patch.
* Label all water shut-off valves. They can be found in hot and cold water lines below or near sinks, showers, tubs, water-supplied appliances and lavatories.
* Keep candle stubs. They can be used to wax tracks of fireplace screens, sliding doors and sticking drawers. Try rubbing your snow shovel with candle stubs; the snow will slide off easily.
In the garden
* Rotate houseplants regularly. If plants are given a quarter-turn each time they are watered, they will grow straight.