FDU's board play tops Mount, 73-65

January 18, 1991|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Sun Staff Correspondent

EMMITSBURG -- The game was heading for a buzzer-beating finish with 11 ties and 10 lead changes through 32 minutes and the score tied at 45.

But Fairleigh Dickinson, which split two last-basket games with Mount St. Mary's last season, rewrote the script last night to score a 73-65 Northeast Conference victory at Knott Arena.

Sophomore Clive Anderson, who wasn't supposed to start, helped the Knights (10-5, 4-2) control the boards through the stretch, and they broke a three-game Mount (5-10, 3-2) winning streak at home.

Mount coach Jim Phelan said there never was serious consideration given to postponing or canceling the game because of the war in the Persian Gulf.

"We thought about it [postponement]," said Phelan, "but Army and Navy played yesterday, and we decided to go ahead." A moment of silence was observed before the game for the U.S.-led forces.

The Mount lost the game on the boards, getting out-rebounded, 47-25.

"They just overpowered us," Phelan said. "We didn't get a couple of calls on key plays when John Miller was shoved out of bounds, but they [the referees] aren't supposed to protect you off the boards. We're supposed to do it ourselves."

Anderson, a 6-foot-7 Jamaican, replaced Wendell Brereton in the Knights' lineup after Brereton suffered a detached retina when he ran into the back of a teammate's head.

Anderson responded with 16 points, 12 of them when Fairleigh Dickinson was building its lead at the finish. He also hit the basket that gave the Knights the lead for good, as he and Desi Wilson dominated inside play.

"I think we may have found something in Anderson," Knights coach Tom Green said.

Fairleigh Dickinson made 10 of 12 free throws in the last two minutes, raising its total for the season to 69 of 78.

The Mount missed six key foul shots at crunch time.

"You can't close it [the deficit] if you can't get the ball," Phelan said. "It just seems like after every win we have a loss and it's back to the drawing board again."

Alex Watson sparked the Mount to a 27-25 halftime lead with three dunks, and finished the game with another eye-popping jam.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.