With the January blahs, worries about the economy, and Operation Desert Storm, it's hard to focus on the everyday, let alone special occasions like a wedding. But as the cliche says, life goes on and so will the plans for 1991 brides-to-be.
If you are planning to tie the knot, why not attend the second annual Bridal Brunch sponsored by the Lake Shore Volunteer Fire Department? It takes place on Sunday, Jan.27, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the fire hall on Mountain Road.
New and "delicately worn" bridal gowns and veils, for every size from petite to full figure, will be provided by Satin & Lace. Fashions for the entire party -- from maid-of-honor dresses, mothers' gowns,flower girl, prom and party dresses -- will also be modeled.
Men's fashions will be supplied by Hiken Formal Wear.
A full assortment of merchants catering to every imaginable need of the wedding celebration will be represented.
Taste samples of wedding cakes baked by Terry. Dee's Cake Boutique will have cake tops on hand.
The wedding reception brunch buffet, from Serio Catering, will feature stuffed chicken, smoked ham, Swedish meatballs, Italian sausage, hot and cold appetizers, fresh fruit salad, cheeses and crackers, raw vegetable and dip, assorted desserts, punch, coffee, pina colada and "fuzzy navel" fountains.
Tickets are $10 per person and can be ordered by calling fund-raising chairwoman Verna Walls at 437-2508.
* Know before you go out on the water -- that's the message of free classes offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 12 to power-boat and sailing enthusiasts.
The 13-week courses for power boating, seamanship and sailing will take place at Chesapeake High School.
"We are very excited to offer the sailing course this year," said spokeswoman Ruby Perkins. "One of our members, Chuck Lewis, brought the growing need for this course to our attention and we are offering it for the first time in our area this year."
Registration for power-boat classes will take place from 6:30 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday evening at Chesapeake High School. Sailing and seamanship registration will take place on Thursday evening from 6:30 to 7 p.m. at the school.
A nominal fee will be charged for the USCG Auxiliary textbook and handout materials.
For more details, call Chuck Lewis at 859-1216, or Ruby Perkins at 255-5900.
* Find out more about community affairs at the next meeting of the Greater Pasadena Council on Thursday. The GPC meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Eastern District Police Stationon Mountain Road.
Visitors are welcome to attend.
For more information, call Dave Williams at 437-4247.
* "Rumpelstiltskin is my name,"said the gnome.
This old German tale will come to life next month in an hour-long musical production performed by Ocean City's Parker Playhouse and sponsored by the county Department of Recreationand Parks.
The show is fast paced, with lively songs and a scriptwritten to hold the interest of children and adults.
The performance will take place at 2 p.m. Feb. 16 in the Chesapeake High School auditorium.
Tickets are free and are available by mail only.
Formore details, call Bob Brandenburger at 222-3538.
Make one stop and sign up the entire family for spring and summer sports at the 1991 registration for teams in the Greater Riviera Recreation Council.
Registration will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow and on Jan. 26, Feb. 2 and 9 at Sunset Elementary School.
A special evening registration will take place from 7 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 6 at the school.
Teams participating in GRRC registration are:
* Riviera Girls' Softball League, open to girls ages 7 to 18. Registration fees are $25 for individuals and $30 per family. A $5 ASA participation feemay also be assessed. For details, call Lee Espegren, 255-6506; Skip Jeffrey, 437-6609; or Elmer Hohman, 255-0766.
* Riviera Little League, for children ages 5 to 15. Registration fee is $25 for individuals, $30 per family. For information, call Jim Canby, 265-5057; or Chris Clark, 437-0955.
* Havenwood Little League and Softball, for children ages 5 to 18. Registration fee is $25 for individuals, $30 per family. For more details, call Carol Gaines at 255-7229 or Sharon Bland at 255-7102.
* Pasadena Clinic League for boys and girls ages5 to 7, tee ball and coach's pitch. Registration fee is $20 for individuals, $30 per family. For more information, call Brenda Evans, 255-9464; or Bill Cyford, 255-3217.
* St. Jane Frances Soccer for boys and girls ages 5 to 18. Clinic fee is $20, county fee $30, and $35 for family. For more details, call Al Adams, 437-3710; Steve Naylor, 437-4699; or Jean Santucci, 255-5952.
Children's birth certificates are required for registration and late registrants may be subject to a penalty charge.
* Last Saturday's weather was cold, gloomy and wet but didn't dampen the spirits of those attending the annual Downs Park VIP Volunteer Banquet at Mount Carmel United Methodist Church.