Alleged Informant Is Slain

But City Police Deny Victim Was A Source

January 15, 1991|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Staff writer

Annapolis police were still searching last night for the gunman who killed a man city hall sources said was a former police informant.

Sylvester Wayne Johnson, 22, of the 200 block Pindell Avenue, was found slumped over the wheel of his car near the Eastport Terrace community about 7 a.m. yesterday by a female acquaintance, said city police spokesman Officer Dermott Hickey.

His yellow Datsun sports car was parked in a driveway leading to a parking lot behind 1152 President St.

"He was last seen alive around the area of President Street at about 1 a.m.," Hickey said.

Johnson was shot twice, Hickey said. One shot passed through his hand and into his chest and a second wound was found under his armpit. Twobullets pierced the driver's side door and the driver's side window was smashed. Both shots were fired from outside the car, Hickey said.

Police say more than one gunman may have been involved.

Despite reports circulating through the community, Hickey denied that Johnson was a police informant. But city hall sources said that Johnson had supplied information about drug activity to the police.

According to court records, Johnson pleaded guilty last year to cocaine and weapon charges. His most recent arrest was Dec. 13, for telephone misuse and extortion.

Hickey said investigators do not know if the killing was drug-related.

Johnson's death marks the city's first homicide of the year. There were five homicides last year and three in 1989.

Less than a month ago, two men stepped from a taxi and gunned down Darryl Downs, 18, in the Bywater Mutual Homes section of Annapolis. One man turned himself in and another man is still being sought in the Dec. 20 killing.

Monday's homicide follows by one day a news conference by black civic leaders, who called for beefed-up security in public housing projects that have been the scene of recent shootings.

Just last Thursday, several gunmen opened fire across a Bowman Court parking lot and into a crowd, seriously injuring an Annapolis man.

The shooting began after a 17-year-old boy in the crowd identified two or three men in a red car cruising through the neighborhood as drug dealers. The boy fired several shots and the men in the car returned fire, hitting Dominic T. Boston, 23.

Police investigators said the Washington men were looking for another man who owed themmoney for drugs. Neither the 17-year-old boy nor Boston were the intended victims, police said.

During a Saturday news conference, Alderman Samuel Gilmer, D-Ward 3, said gates should be installed on entrances to the housing complexes and private guards hired to keep out drug dealers.

Although Harold Greene, executive director of the Annapolis Housing Authority, said Gilmer's proposal would be considered,putting up guardhouses and gates would be difficult because many of the housing complexes are on public streets that would have to be closed while the work was done.

Greene said architects are redesigning entrances to the housing projects in an effort to establish a card-access or intercom system.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.