Jacks keep unbeaten streak alive, 5-2

January 13, 1991|By Paul Abramowitz | Paul Abramowitz,Special to The Sun

PORTLAND, Maine -- Coach Rob Laird remembered vividly his team's last visit to Maine -- a three-goal loss to the Mariners in mid-December.

Last night, Laird's Baltimore Skipjacks redeemed themselves, posting a 5-2 victory at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

"We talked about the season series with Maine so far," said Laird, whose team is 2-2 against the Mariners. "It's usually the team committed to playing good defense that has come out the winner.

"They beat us a couple of times. They limited us to five goals the first three games. Last time we were here, we came in with no intensity, so we wanted to make up for that."

Reggie Savage and Steve Maltais each scored two goals, as the Skipjacks extended their unbeaten streak to six (5-0-1). Mark Ferner scored the other Baltimore goal.

Goalie Jim Hrivnak won his third straight since returning from a knee injury. He lost his shutout with 7 minutes, 31 seconds remaining when Ron Hoover scored for the Mariners. Ken Hammond added a goal less than two minutes later for the home team.

The Skipjacks were one skater below the 16-skater limit. And, Ferner sat out most of the third period with an undisclosed injury, leaving Baltimore with four rookie defensemen.

"This is a game for us to be proud of," Laird said. "Hockey is a game of momentum. Right now, we're on a bit of a roll, so we're confident with whomever we have out there. We still feel we can win the game."

The Skipjacks had a 2-0 lead after the second period, with both goals scored by Savage.

On the first, with 5:51 left in the first period, Savage put in a shot on a goalmouth scramble after Jiri Vykoukal took a pass from Thomas Sjogren in the Maine zone and made a nice move to elude Dave Donnelly and get a shot toward net.

On the second, at 6:37 of the second, Alfie Turcotte skated down the right side and made a move to get close to the net. The puck was loose in the right slot until Savage fired a shot past the far side on goalie Mike Parson.

In the third period, Maltais scored twice and Ferner once. Ferner's shot came from the blue line at 1:40. Maltais' first goal came at 8:13 on a low shot from between the circles, and his second came with 4:37 left on a two-on-one break.

NOTES: Baltimore defenseman Joel Quenneville was recalled by the Washington Capitals after Friday's game at Capital District because of an injury to Rod Langway. Quenneville was on the bus headed for Portland when the Jacks' coaching staff got the word. Quenneville got off the bus and flew to Montreal yesterday morning. . . . The Jacks' bus trip to Portland took longer than expected because of the snowy weather. The team arrived here at 5:45 a.m., about 2 1/2 hours behind schedule. . . . John Purves was scratched because of an ailing knee, and Jeff Greenlaw sat out because of a shoulder injury. Tyler Larter was among the 16 Skipjacks skaters, playing only for the second time in 13 games. He had been out with an ankle injury.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.