Duke back to try to stop Terps' home-court streak

January 12, 1991|By Don Markus | Don Markus,Sun Staff Correspondent

COLLEGE PARK -- There was a desperation shot at the regulation buzzer that, depending whether you were rooting for Maryland or Duke, should or should not have counted.

There was a wild overtime period, for which all but one of the Terrapins starters had fouled out and during which Maryland fielded a team that included several end-of-the-bench players.

And, when it was over last Feb. 10, Maryland had lost a game to the fourth-ranked Blue Devils, 114-111, but received a standing ovation from the fans at Cole Field House for their effort.

The Terps have not lost at home since, a modest stretch of 10 straight games, including six this season. Maryland (8-5, 1-2) will try to make it 11, and make up for last year, when it plays host to No. 14 Duke (11-3, 1-1) in a 1 p.m. Atlantic Coast Conference game.

"I really don't think that game will have an effect tomorrow; Duke's a different team, and so are we," said Maryland coach Gary Williams, whose Terps will also be trying to rebound from Wednesday night's 32-point defeat at North Carolina. "It was just part of the process of some younger guys getting playing time against a very good team."

Walt Williams wants to be on the court for more than the 21 foul-plagued minutes he played last year. When Williams fouled out with a little less than three minutes left, the Terps still led by seven after leading by 10 a minute before.

"If I had been in the game, we would have won," said Williams who scored 13 points, with seven rebounds and five assists, before fouling out.

Sophomore forward Evers Burns, who made some critical shots at the end of regulation and in overtime, said he hopes that he and the Terps will learn from last year's experience.

"It was one of the best games of the year for us," said Burns, who will start today in place of slumping Garfield Smith. "We had a chance to beat the No. 4 team in the country. I think it helped give us some confidence the rest of the season."

In some ways, too, it gave the Blue Devils the feeling that they could come back in any game, no matter the deficit. Brian Davis remembers the feeling on the Duke bench after Teyon McCoy's 30-footer was allowed to send the game into overtime.

"We were pretty mad," said Davis. "But we kept telling ourselves that we can't lose. We had to win after what happened with Teyon's shot. That shot should not have counted."

After it was ruled by Gerry Donaghy to have come after the buzzer, lead official Stan Rote came charging in to say that it counted. According to ACC associate commissioner Fred Barakat, it was Rote's call because he could see the red light on top of the buzzer.

"It's not so much that the call was right or wrong," Barakat sai this week. "But there was an error by the official under the basket because it was not his call to make. We should not have had that kind of confusion at the end of a game."

The overtime period was just as heart-pounding. Duke jumped out to a 109-103 lead with 1:16 left, but Maryland pulled to within 110-108 on a drive by Burns. But the Blue Devils made four straight free throws before Burns hit a three-point shot with eight seconds to go.

"To me the most exciting thing was the deficit we had to overcome," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, whose Blue Devils are coming off a 41-point victory over Georgia Tech. "To go through that emotional swing, to think you have the game won, then to go into overtime, then to win it again."

The Blue Devils will try to win it again today, just a little more easily this time.

Maryland -- with a 10-game home-court winning streak and a sellout crowd -- hopes to be standing in the way.

* A few hundred seats will be available for sale this morning, beginning at 9 at the ticket office.

A year ago

* Maryland was up: 24-14 on a rebound follow by Tony Massenburg with 10:02 left in the first half.

* Maryland was still up: 86-76 on two free throws by Jesse Martin with 3:58 left in the second half.

* Maryland was down: 90-88 on a steal and stuff by Robert Brickey with 1:38 to go in the second half.

* Maryland was still down: 95-92 on a pair of free throws by Bobby Hurley with two seconds left in the second half.

* Maryland was tied (and lucky): 95-95 on a three-point desperation shot by Teyon McCoy at (or after) the buzzer.

* Maryland was up: 99-98 on a hook shot by Evers Burns with 4:17 left in overtime.

* Maryland was down: 102-101 on a layup by Alaa Abdelnaby with 3:04 left in overtime.

* Maryland was up: 103-102 on a drive by Jerrod Mustaf with 2:45 to go in overtime.

* Maryland was down: 110-105 on a free throw by Christian Laettner with 42 seconds to go.

* Maryland was back: to within 110-108 on a drive by Burns with 31 seconds to go.

* Maryland was down: 114-108 on a pair of free throws by Bob Hurley with 12 seconds left.

* Maryland was back: To within three on a three-point shot by Burns with eight seconds remaining.

* Maryland was out: Terps lost, 114-111.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.