Prison-ward escapee is captured Faked paralysis, assaulted officer, police say

January 10, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff William B. Talbott and Bruce Reid contributed to this story.

A man who was recaptured yesterday after a daring escape Sunday from the prisoner ward at Johns Hopkins Hospital faced a bail hearing in District Court on new charges.

Police said the escapee, Oswald Gerald Trayham, 20, of no permanent address, was arrested on the roof of an East Baltimore rowhouse.

Trayham had been arrested last Friday on charges of illegal possession of a handgun and after a brief scuffle with police had feigned paralysis, police said.

At the hospital, he underwent medical tests.

Before his escape, police said, Trayham had been released from handcuffs so he could eat. He jumped out of bed and held a knife to the throat of Officer Charles Walker, who was guarding him. He stole the officer's jacket and .38-caliber service revolver and removed the battery from the officer's portable radio.

Leaving his eighth-floor room, Trayham accosted a hospital security officer and made him remove his dark blue uniform pants, police said.

Trayham grabbed a nurse and used her as a shield but released her outside. He then spotted a policeman on his way to relieve the other officer and fired two shots at him, police said. The officer was not hit.

Trayham ran. Two officers joined in the chase and also were fired at but the shots missed. The three officers did not return fire.

The search for Trayham ended about 10:30 a.m. yesterday atop a three-story rowhouse in the 1200 block of E. Preston St. The arrest came after a tip, police said.

Trayham surrendered without a struggle and was charged with escape, two counts of robbery, kidnapping, assault and a handgun violation, police said. While he was at large, Trayham was shot in the left leg.

The house is rented by three young women and a man. Police said Trayham and the four people were friends.

All four were taken to police headquarters for questioning. The women were released but the man, Charles Smith, 25, was charged with harboring an escapee, police said.

Police found Walker's revolver in the chimney of the Preston Street house and his jacket in the rear yard of a home in the 800 block of N. Durham St., near Hopkins. Police were searching for Walker's gun belt.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.