MARYLAND VS. NORTH CAROLINA
* WHEN: Tonight, 7:30.
* WHERE: Dean E. Smith Center, Chapel Hill, N.C.
* RADIO: WBAL-AM 1090.
* OUTLOOK: As the fifth-ranked Tar Heels (11-1) open Atlantic Coast Conference play, they are as loaded as any team east of Las Vegas. As if seniors Rick Fox (17.3 points, 6.6 rebounds) and Pete Chilcutt (11.4 points, 6.0 rebounds) and sophomore George Lynch (14.5 points, 7.4 rebounds) weren't enough, North Carolina boasts a bench that has what is considered one of the best freshmen recruiting classes of all time, including 7-foot center Eric Montross and power forward Clifford Rozier.
Oh, and did we mention that Tar Heels guru Dean Smith is going for his 700th career victory tonight? The winningest active Division I coach, Smith ranks sixth all-time in career victories.
NORTH CAROLINA A&T VS. COPPIN
* WHEN: Tonight, 7:35.
* WHERE: Coppin Center.
* OUTLOOK: The Eagles (4-8) have won 15 straight at home dating back to last season, and this is only their third home game this season. Coppin State also has won six straight against North Carolina A&T, including a victory in the championship game of last season's Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament. Coppin opened MEAC play last week with a loss to South Carolina State. Glenn Taggart leads N.C. A&T (6-3, 2-0) with 18 points and 4.5 assists per game, and Dana Elliott is averaging 16 points and 7.5 rebounds. For Coppin, the leaders continue to be Reggie Isaac (24 points, four rebounds) and Larry Stewart (21 points, 13 rebounds). Coppin was the preseason pick to win the MEAC, and A&T was picked second.
LOYOLA VS. FAIRFIELD
* WHEN: Tonight, 8.
* WHERE: Alumni Hall, Fairfield, Conn.
* RADIO: WCAO-AM 600.
* OUTLOOK: Even though Loyola is playing its third consecutive Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference road game, the Greyhounds (5-6, 0-2 in the MAAC) could get a break playing a Fairfield (4-6, 0-1) team that's riding a five-game losing streak. Guard Kevin George (17.1 points) and 6-6 center Harold Brantley (13 points, 9.7 rebounds) pace the Stags. Loyola's Kevin Green is the MAAC's second-leading scorer at 22.9 points a game.
OTHER GAMES TONIGHT
Gallaudet at Frostburg, 8
Salisbury at Allentown, 8
Western Maryland at Muhlenberg, 8
Salisbury at Allentown, 6
Johns Hopkins at College of Notre Dame, 7
Wagner at Mount St. Mary's, 7:30
St. Mary's at Stevens Tech, 7:30
Johns Hopkins at Ursinus, 8
Gettysburg at Washington, 8
Cabrini at Frostburg State, 8
UMBC at Kansas, 8:30
UMBC at Central Connecticut, 5:15
Cabrini at Loyola, 6
Franklin & Marshall at Western Maryland, 7