50 Years Ago (week of Jan. 5-11, 1941): William Merson was re-elected chief of the Savage Fire Department this week, and Charles Heishmanwas named to serve as president of that organization for the year 1941.
During 1940, 70 calls were answered by the Savage Fire Department.
The estimated total value of the property involved in these callswas $72,527.
The average distance traveled to a call was eight miles, and the average time away from the firehouse per call was one hour and 55 minutes.
* The annual meeting of the Howard County Farm Bureau was conducted at 10 a.m. on Jan. 7 at the Ellicott City Court House.
The purpose of the meeting was to elect the bureau's officers and directors of the year and to choose delegates to the state convention to be held that January.
25 Years Ago (week of Jan. 2-8, 1966): The C & P Telephone Co. of Maryland announced an advanced communications concept planned for the new city of Columbia, to serve homes, businesses, schools and hospitals with state-of-the art communications technology.
Included in the plans were underground utilities, picturephones and closed-circuit television systems.
* The Howard County Board of Education requested this week that $2.5 million in state money be set aside for Howard County's community college.
The money would come from money expected to be appropriated from the next Maryland General Assembly.
Howard County had been asked by the State Department of Education to estimate what the state's share of funding for the community college would be.
*Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's library.