William & Mary crushes Loyola, 77-54

January 08, 1991|By Bill Free

It didn't take Loyola College basketball coach Tom Schneider long last night to figure out that his team didn't belong on the same floor with William & Mary.

"This was a case of 15 people coming together on one night and being flat," said Schneider after the Tribe blitzed the Greyhounds, 77-54, at Reitz Arena. "I'm sure it happens in the business world all the time. I talk all the time to my team about only having 100 times to play a game in college and not to waste one of them. But we wasted this one."

William & Mary (6-5) thrashed Loyola (5-6) with a 15-0 run midway through the first half on the way to a 41-16 halftime lead and the game was virtually over.

"What do you do when you're down, 41-16, at the half?" said Schneider. "I have no explanations as to why we were flat. I'm as much at a loss to figure it out as anybody is. Now we have to regroup."

It was no big surprise that William & Mary won the game, but the way it happened was a mystery. The Greyhounds entered the game with a 2-0 home record, with victories over George Washington and American University at Reitz.

Those wins had raised a lot of hopes around Loyola for a rebirth of the basketball program.

But in the first half last night, the Greyhounds made William & Mary look like the Boston Celtics.

The Tribe ran its fast break to perfection, moved the ball well against Loyola's zone defense and came up with almost every rebound and loose ball.

To complete the first-half domination, William & Mary held Loyola's scoring leader Kevin Green scoreless. Green entered the game with a 24-point average but never was much of a factor last night.

"I took Kevin out [in the first half] because I didn't like the way he was playing defense," said Schneider. "The other kids I put in for him played harder on defense. Kevin was frustrated offensively, and it showed."

Green scored 12 in the second half, but it wasn't much of a consolation for him and the Greyhounds.

Schneider also pulled starting sophomore guard Tracy Bergan out of the game in the first half for poor defensive play.

"He let [Brendan] Connor go by him twice, and then Tracy took a bad shot," said Schneider. "But I didn't pull him for the shot. I wanted to talk to him about defense."

William & Mary coach Chuck Swenson said he had nightmares about Green before the game.

"Green scares me," said Swenson. "I'd seen him go on scoring binges in four games this season. I decided to pressure the ball and take Green out of his game. Fortunately Derrick Peters [sophomore guard] played his best game of the year defensively and got Green out of synch."

Peters also scored 14 points to lead William & Mary's balanced offense.

In the final minutes of the game, Schneider had three walk-ons on the floor -- freshmen Todd Binder and Billy Lee and sophomore Brian Condon.

Binder hit a free throw in the final minute for his first collegiate point.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.