Joseph U. Dorsch Owned pharmacies

January 08, 1991

A Mass of Christian burial for Joseph U. Dorsch, who owned the Voshell's pharmacies in West Baltimore, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Church of the Resurrection, Paulskirk and Chatham roads in Ellicott City.

Mr. Dorsch, who was 73, died Saturday after a long illness at his home on Crestleigh Road in Ellicott City.

He retired from operation of the stores on Wilkens Avenue near St. Agnes Hospital about five years ago. The stores handle prescriptions, and medical and surgical supplies.

He had become a partner in the business in 1950 when the stores were on Edmondson Avenue near Edmondson Village, later moving them and finally becoming the sole owner.

A native of Towson who was raised in West Baltimore, he was a graduate of Calvert Hall College High School, and held both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree from the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.

He served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II and had worked in a drugstore in Ocean City and at the Thomas and Thompson drugstore in downtown Baltimore.

A former president of the Baltimore Metropolitan Pharmaceutical Association and the West Baltimore Business Association, he had been named honorary president of the Maryland Pharmacists Association.

Fond of raising corn and other vegetables in his garden, he also liked to eat Maryland seafood.

He is survived by his wife, the former Vivienne Beffa; two daughters, Barbara Wirth of Ellicott City and Peggy McDougall of Sykesville; a son, Jay Dorsch of West Friendship; two sisters, Verda Dorsch of Towson and Marguerite Bittner of Parkville; two brothers, Paul Dorsch of Boca Raton, Fla., and Monsignor David Dorsch of Towson; and four grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.