Couple sought in fatal beating of 2 year-old

January 07, 1991|By Richard Irwinand Alisa Samuels William B. Talbott contributed to this story. | Richard Irwinand Alisa Samuels William B. Talbott contributed to this story.,Evening Sun Staff

City police today were searching for a couple charged in a warrant with the first-degree murder of a 2-year-old boy who died over the weekend from severe head injuries, the result of a beating.

Charged in the death of Dion Dixon are Verlinda Timmons, 28, and her husband of six months, Keith Anthony Hamlin, 28, both of the 1600 block of Druid Hill Ave.

Verlinda Timmons is the daughter of the child's foster mother, Bessie Timmons, police said. Dion lived with his foster mother in the 700 block of Martin Luther King Blvd.

Police said Dion had lived with Bessie Timmons since she was awarded custody in October when his biological mother was unable to care for him.

Police said the child was being cared for Thursday by Timmons' daughter and son-in-law in their Druid Hill Avenue home.

Police said Verlinda Timmons called her mother and said Dion had been playing in the rear of their rowhouse when he fell while attempting to climb the fire escape, adding that he was uninjured.

The boy was later returned to Bessie Timmons.

Friday night, the foster mother was unable to awaken the child and called for an ambulance, which took him to the pediatric intensive care unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

When the child arrived at the hospital, he was unconscious and showed signs of a beating, police said.

Dion remained in the intensive care unit until he died shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday from massive brain swelling, police said. Police said he bore multiple injuries to his head and body and also may have been burned with cigarettes.

Police today said Verlinda Timmons was arrested in the city last fall on charges of strong-arm robbery and assaulting two police officers. Police said she was convicted and sentenced to perform 50 hours of community service. She was to have worked at the Central District police station, but officials refused to allow her to work there because of her arrest record, city police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.