Around the house
* Keep holiday gift wrap in good condition from year to year. Store rolls of wrapping paper upright in a garment bag or purchase a long box from a florist.
* Remove tea and coffee stains from tablecloths. Rinse clotwith cold water and rub salt into the stain until it disappears. Rinse and air dry.
* Spray kitchen curtains with a fabric protector. Curtains thahang directly over a sink are particularly vulnerable to splashes and spills.
* Open stubborn jars. A piece of sandpaper will provide a googrip for lids that won't budge.
In the garden
* Wrap a cylinder of 1/4 -inch mesh hardware cloth around base of trees to protect bark from gnawing rodents. Cloth should cover about 2 feet of the trunk.