12-year-old, 2 others charged in shooting of teens

January 03, 1991|By Richard Irwinand Bruce Reid | Richard Irwinand Bruce Reid,Evening Sun Staff

Three youths, the youngest 12, were arrested last night and charged in the shooting of two teen-agers during an attempted armed robbery on a Md. 295 footbridge in Lansdowne, a Baltimore County police spokesman said.

The 12-year-old boy, the accused shooter, was wounded during a struggle with one of the victims, said E. Jay Miller, the spokesman.

The youngest suspect and two of the victims were slightly wounded from gunshots and were treated at hospitals and released, police said.

Miller said Jeffrey Allen, 15, and Keion Ricks, 14, both of the 2900 block of Lakebrook Circle in Lansdowne, were charged with assault with intent to murder, attempted robbery and handgun violations.

A District Court commissioner today denied bail for both Allen and Ricks. Both were being held at the Wilkens District lockup.

Police said Allen attends Lansdowne Senior High School and Ricks is a student at Lansdowne Middle School.

The third suspect, a 12-year-old student at the Calverton Junior High in the city, was charged as a juvenile with the same offenses as Ricks and Allen and was remanded to the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School in Cub Hill.

The 12-year-old is too young to be charged as an adult, Miller said.

Several Lansdowne area residents said today that they were fearful of using the footbridge, particularly at night. But the alternative some people choose is to walk or run across Md. 295 to get to Lansdowne High School or stores.

Officer Thomas Hench, of the Wilkens District, gave this police account of last night's incident:

Antonio Roberto Renasco, 15, of the 3000 block of Freeway; Bryant R. Reid, 16; and his brother, William, 14, both of the 2700 block of Augusta Ave., were riding or walking their bicycles on the highway overpass in Lansdowne about 7:30 p.m. when they were stopped by three youths, one armed with a handgun, who demanded their money and bikes.

Bryant Reid grabbed the gun and the weapon discharged during the struggle, a bullet striking him in the right foot.

The weapon went off at least three more times. Bullets struck Renasco twice in the right thigh and the 12-year-old in the left elbow, Hench said.

One of the suspects struck William Reid in the face with his fist.

Hench said that, after the shots were fired, the victims and the suspects fled in opposite directions. None of the victims was robbed.

While police searched for the suspects, the wounded youths were taken to hospitals.

Police said Renasco was treated at Harbor Medical Center and released, and Bryant Reid was treated at St. Agnes Hospital and released.

As police searched the vicinity of the overpass, Hench and Officer Noel Arciaga spotted the suspects at Bero and Hollins Ferry roads and arrested them without incident.

Hench said the 12-year-old was taken to St. Agnes and released to police custody after he was treated for a bullet wound.

Police searched the alley behind the 3300 block of Bero Road, not far from where the three youths were arrested, and recovered a .22-caliber Ruger revolver believed to have been used in the shootings.

Police said the weapon was being checked through the National Crime Information Center to determine its owner and whether it had been stolen.

Sheila Jackson, who lives on Annapolis Road, said today that she feared the day when her 13-year-old son would have occasion to use the footbridge to attend high school.

"I don't see how the police can patrol it, unless they patrol it hourly and on foot," she said. "The situation is bad. They need more lights."

Jackson, who doesn't use the footbridge much any more, said she starting carrying a knife while crossing it after she was mugged in 1982. She didn't have a car at the time, she said, so she needed to use the bridge to get to the grocery stores and other shops.

But Audrey Cheeks, principal at nearby Lansdowne High, said she had not heard of any violence at the footbridge during the day, when students are going to and from school.

Residents tell of drug use, drinking and horseplay on the footbridge at night. Some say they have seen youngsters throw rocks from the footbridge at cars below on Md. 295, also known as the Baltimore-Washington Expressway.

"I don't ever go up there at night," said Dolores Lester, who lives on McDowell Lane. She said she tries not to let her children use the footbridge unless she is with them.

David Burns, who also lives on McDowell Lane, has a young daughter and lives with a woman who has two young sons. Burns said he was appalled at the number of teen-agers roaming the streets in the area at night. He heard about last night's shooting on his police scanner.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.