Broadneck beats Woodlawn, goes for fourth title

December 29, 1990|By Mike Frainie

There's something about the Wes Unseld Classic that brings out the best in No. 10 Broadneck.

The Bruins are making their fourth straight appearance in the tournament, and today at 5 p.m. they will make their fourth consecutive appearance in the final game, playing for their fourth straight title, against Edmondson.

It wasn't easy, as the Bruins had to rally in the third quarter to defeat No. 8 Woodlawn (5-2), 53-49, in overtime in the semifinals yesterday at Catonsville Community College.

"Our seniors talk to the younger players each year and tell them how much fun it is to play here," Broadneck coach Ken Kazmarek said. "We've had so much success here, and the kids get up when they come here."

John Williams led Broadneck with 15 points, and Jeff Vincent contributed 13. Calvin Moore had 15 for Woodlawn, and Ferron Carter chipped in 14.

Woodlawn led the tight game most of the way, holding a 9-7 lead after the first quarter and extending it to 21-17 at the half.

Broadneck took the lead with 3 minutes, 12 seconds left in the third quarter, and the teams traded baskets until baskets by Jeff Vincent and Marlon Bailey gave Broadneck a 46-41 lead with 2:29 remaining.

Woodlawn rallied, scoring eight of the next nine points -- including four by Moore -- to take a 49-47 lead with 26 seconds left.

Williams scored on a layup with seven seconds remaining to tie the score at 49, and Trent Thames' shot at the buzzer for Woodlawn went wide, forcing overtime.

Broadneck used two Matt Weimer free throws on the next possession to take a 51-49 lead with 2:33 left in overtime. After Woodlawn turned the ball over on its next possession, the Bruins held the ball for 1:48, as Woodlawn used a trapping defense to try to regain possession. Weimer was fouled with seven seconds left and again hit two free throws to seal the victory.

Woodlawn coach Rod Norris said his team would not be returning for the 8 p.m. third-place game, forfeiting to Mount St. Joseph.

"It was a tough loss and we only played seven people," Norris said of his decision. "The kids are drained and voted not to return."

The scheduling conflict occurred when Thursday's 8 p.m. semifinal was snowed out and moved to yesterday.

Borris Beck, the Bruins' 7-foot-2 center, contributed seven points and six blocks.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.