Apartment blaze kills man, 72

December 27, 1990|By Joe Nawrozki | Joe Nawrozki,Evening Sun Staff

A 72-year-old man died early today when a one-alarm fire burned through two apartments in a West Baltimore rowhouse.

Charles Conway, of the 1400 block of N. Fulton Ave., was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 5 a.m., according to city Fire Department spokesman Capt. Patrick Flynn.

Conway had suffered smoke inhalation and burns on his legs.

Flynn said Conway's body was found on a sofa in his second-floor apartment. He had draped a blanket over his head to protect himself from the thick smoke

Flynn said Tony Holly, 34, a resident of the first-floor apartment in Conway's building, awakened the elderly man about 5:10 a.m. after he noticed his apartment was on fire.

Holly said the man escaped downstairs but returned to his apartment to retrieve something. Conway apparently became trapped and died, Flynn said.

Neither Holly nor firefighters knew what Conway went back into the apartment for, Flynn said.

Fire investigators believe a burning cigarette in a bed ignited the blaze on the first floor. No smoke detectors were in either apartment, Flynn said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.