Son arrested in mother's grisly slaying

December 26, 1990|By Alisa Samuelsand Richard Irwin | Alisa Samuelsand Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

City police early today arrested a 30-year-old Govans man in the Christmas Eve slaying of his mother with a circular saw.

Police said Clifton Earl Williams, 30, who lived with his mother, Dessie Williams, 50, in the 5200 block of Ivanhoe Ave., was arrested at his home shortly before 6 a.m. today after police received information he was in the house.

After his arrest, Williams was taken to the Northern District police station where he was charged with first-degree murder and related offenses.

Williams' slaying was one of three homicides Christmas Eve.

In the other case, a man suspected of shooting his estranged wife to death on a downtown street Monday evening was killed with his own gun when he encountered a man in a parking garage as he was fleeing the murder scene.

The three slayings brought this year's number of homicides in the city to 297, compared to 262 in all of last year.

In the Govans slaying, Dessie Williams was found dead shortly DTC before noon Christmas Eve by her daughter, Sheila Mayor, 33.

Shortly after Williams' body was found, her son became a prime suspect in the case.

Police said Williams was killed while she slept, police said. Her body was found in a second-floor hallway.

Police found a circular saw and several lengths of extension cord inside a space above the basement ceiling when they searched the house.

Police said the son often sawed wood into small pieces in his apartment and that he had been acting strangely before his mother's death.

In the double homicide, Audry Simpson, 23, of the 8400 block of Church Lane in Randallstown, was shot about 6 p.m. Monday as she shopped downtown, police said.

Police said Simpson was walking with friends in the 300 block of W. Baltimore St. when she spotted her estranged husband, Reginald Simpson, 25, of the first block of Charles St. in Westminster, and went over to talk with him.

Police said she wanted to tell him what Christmas gifts she had gotten for their children, but an argument began.

A merchant who knew the couple left his store to try to calm them. But after he returned to the store, the merchant heard two gunshots and saw Audry Simpson fall to the pavement.

She was pronounced dead at the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore, police said.

The merchant told police he saw Reginald Simpson run into a parking garage in the 200 block of W. Fairmount Ave., near the Trailways bus station.

As Simpson left the garage several minutes later, he was assaulted by a man dressed in black, police said.

As the two men struggled, Simpson's gun, a revolver, discharged and he was shot in the head and the chest, police said. Simpson died at the scene and his revolver was found near the body, police said.

The man in black is being sought.

Police said today they do not now believe the attack on Reginald Simpson was related to the shooting of Audry Simpson, but the investigation is continuing.

There now have been more homicides in 1990 than in any year since 1972, when 330 people were killed, the record for a single year in the city, police said.

In 1971, there were 323 homicides.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.