The Body Shop has 316 franchises in 37 countries. More than a dozen stores are planned for the United States this year, in addition to the 13 already operating on the East Coast, including two in Maryland, at White Marsh and at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda.
Among the company's operational policies:
* All staff are encouraged to participate in a community project. (New York staffers work in a hospice, for example.)
* All products are from the Third World, to provide employmenand trade.
* Packaging is minimal and reusable.
* There is no animal testing.
* Instead of advertising and marketing, The body Shop has a department of anthropology and a department of social inventions, the latter responsible for organizing soup kitchens, visits to prisons and conservation projects.