Shots fired before escapee gives up Man earlier called police to surrender

December 24, 1990|By Melody Simmons | Melody Simmons,Evening Sun Staff Richard Irwin contributed to this story.

A 29-year-old Dundalk man who escaped in October from the Baltimore Pre-Release Center where he was serving a 20-year sentence for murder was in custody today after a standoff with city police in which a shotgun was fired at officers.

William Daniel White surrendered yesterday after police negotiator Julius Murfree "talked him into putting his weapon down," police said.

White, armed with a shotgun, had barricaded himself inside a Forest Park residence where he rented a room.

The incident, which lasted about 40 minutes, began when White telephoned police and offered to turn himself in.

When police arrived at the house in the 4400 block of Belvieu Ave. about 3:20 p.m., White answered the door armed with a 12-gauge shotgun. One shot was fired at police but no one was wounded, said police spokesman Dennis Hill.

The officers fired back but also missed.

The man then barricaded himself in the house as police surrounded the block and warned residents to stay inside their homes.

Murfree then began negotiating with the gunman by telephone.

The incident ended about 4 p.m. when White walked out.

He was arrested and later charged with discharging a firearm. Police also found a .30-caliber rifle in the house, Hill said.

White was being held at the Northwestern District without bail and was to be turned over to State Police today.

"He kept us all from going home to go Christmas shopping," said Sgt. Mike Dunn, who worked about five hours overtime.

Dunn said White had escaped on Oct. 2 from the pre-release center, a Maryland Division of Correction facility near the Maryland Penitentiary.

White had served part of a 20-year sentence for second-degree murder and was being processed for release at the time of the escape, a state trooper said last night. The murder occurred in eastern Baltimore County.

Hill, the State Police and county police spokesman E. Jay Miller could provide no detailed information about the second-degree murder conviction or details of the slaying.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.