William J. Kelso Retired firefighter

December 23, 1990

Services for William J. Kelso, a retired lieutenant in the Baltimore fire department, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Schimunek Funeral Home, 9705 Belair Road, Perry Hall.

Mr. Kelso, who was 83, died Friday at Fallston General Hospital of complications following surgery.

He was a lifelong resident of East Baltimore, living for the past 60 years on North Robinson Street.

Mr. Kelso retired in 1972 after 30 years in the city fire department's rescue squad, where he received several commendations. He spent nearly his entire career with Engine Company No. 1, based downtown at Mulberry and Paca streets.

Before joining the fire department, he worked as a clerk for the B & O Railroad and as a distribution manager for the American Ice Co. Mr. Kelso attended Baltimore City College.

In 1930, he married the former Elizabeth A. Siegmund. He was a member of the Hiram Masonic Lodge and the Middle River Square Club. Mr. Kelso enjoyed reading, woodworking, baking and visiting with his extended family.

He was a member of St. Matthews United Church of Christ.

In addition to his wife of 60 years, he is survived by two sons, William G. Kelso of Ocean City and Charles J. Kelso of Bel Air; a daughter, Betty M. Apperson of Edgewood; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.