Annapolis Sticks St. Mary's With Four Straight Pins

December 23, 1990|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff writer

Not everything improves with age. St. Mary's hadn't wrestled Annapolis since losing, 49-16, in 1984. A half-dozen years later, the result was much the same.

The visiting Saints lost Friday, 50-17.

Trailing, 17-11, after six bouts, the Saints (2-1) were still in the match -- at least mathematically. But the Panthers (3-0) got four straight pins to put the match out of reach, 41-11, with three bouts left.

Ford Baumgardener (140), Chip Cochran (145), Jemal Minatee (152) and Pat Flynn (160) all pinned their St. Mary's opponents.

"It felt kind of weird wrestling against my old teammates," said Cochran, a transfer from St. Mary's. "I had friends on the other team. At times, I didn't know who to cheer for, so I just kept quiet."

Cochran, normally a 140-pounder, and Flynn, a 145-pounder, were wrestling up a weight class.

The Panthers were missing two starters. Flynn subbed for Brian Paul, who is out with torn ligaments in the rib area. David Castle subbed for heavyweight Ben Antkowiak, who is out with a knee injury.

Annapolis ended the match by winning the last two bouts. Brandon Tinker (189) defeated Kevin Donnelly, 3-1, avenging an earlier lost where he was pinned in 4:37. And Castle planted Chris Price in 47 seconds.

St. Mary's last winner was Scott Thompson (171), who pinned Ray Henson with 53 seconds left and ended an exciting bout that was tied, 6-6.

"I'm really not worried about the score," St. Mary's second-year coach Brad Best said. "I just don't want to get shut out. I just want the kids to wrestle well."

Annapolis took a 6-0 lead on Mike Zambernardi's (103) first period pin of Reed Smith. Smith replaced injured starter Colin Campbell, who was out with an arm injury.

St. Mary's evened the score at 6-6 after Dan White (112) surprised Kevin Owen with a quick takedown and a 43-second pin. The bout was expected to be closer since White only edged Owen, 2-1, in the Annapolis tournament earlier this season.

The 119-pound bout was yet another rematch. Annapolis' Mike Bousman had beaten Don Cipriani, 4-2, in the Annapolis tournament. Cipriani only made it closer this time, losing 4-3, and Annapolis held a 9-3 lead.

The Saints trailed, 15-6, after Annapolis' Seth Robbins (125) built a 5-0 lead over Jere Carroll and finished him at 1:33 of the first period.

But Ira Robbins, Seth's twin brother, wasn't nearly as successful in his 130-pound bout against Phil MacWilliams, one of St. Mary's better wrestlers.

MacWilliams was nearly put on his back in the third period, but used three takedowns en route to winning a tough bout, 7-3, and closing the Panthers' lead to 15-9.

Mac MacWilliams (135), Phil's older brother, was ahead, 6-4, in the third period when Tom Sfakiyanudas scored a reversal and the bout ended in a draw. Each team was awarded two points, and the Panthers maintained their five-point lead.

The elder MacWilliams had built a 4-0 second period lead and looked to be in control, but Sfakiyanudas surprised him with a four-point move.

"Overall we wrestled well," Annapolis coach Dave Gehrdes said. "I thought Tom Sfakiyanudas got them going. His match really turned on the rest of the middleweights."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.