WESTMINSTER - Thirty Western Maryland College students have been selected for the 1991 edition of "Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges," the annual directory of the nation's most outstanding students in higher education.
Beakie Powell, associate director of the 56-year-old publication, said campus nominating committees and directory editors have selected these students for inclusion based on their academic achievements, service to the community, leadership in extracurricular activities, and potential for continued success.
"They join an elite group of students selected from more than 1,400 institutions of higher learning in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and several foreign nations," Powell said.
Last year, WMC had 19 students listed in the directory.
Nine WMC students from Carroll County were among the 30 in this year's directory:
* Julie E. Baile '91, majoring in English, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Baile of Westminster. Julie is active in the honors program and Lambda Iota Tau, the literature honor society. This past semester, Julie served as editor of The Phoenix, the WMC student newspaper.
* Kathleen A. Bare '90, majoring in English, is the wife of David Bare of Westminster. Kathleen, a graduate of Mercy High School, is a founding member of the Non-traditional Student Union. Kathleen is also a member of the Lambda Iota Tau and Omicron Delta Kappa honor societies.
* Patrick L. Blackman '90, majoring in religious studies, is the son of Mr.
and Mrs. Jack Blackman of Westminster. A 1986 graduate of Westminster High School, Pat is a founding member of the Student Environmental Action Coalition on the WMC campus.
* Gary W. Fannin '91, majoring in psychology and religious studies, resides in Westminster. Gary is a graduate of Aldine Senior High School in Houston, Texas. He is active in student civil rights on the WMC campus.
* Tina R. Fleming '91, majoring in communication, is the daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. Raymond Fleming Jr. of Finksburg. Tina, a graduate of Westminster High, is an active member of her sorority, Alpha Nu Omega, in addition to serving as editor of the Greekspeak newsletter and as secretary of the Student Government Association.
* Bonnie J. Grady '91, majoring in communication, resides in Westminster.
Bonnie, a graduate of Wheaton High School, is the charter president of the Non-traditional Student Union and the Communications Club. In addition, she is a member of the Omicron Delta Kappa and Trumpeters honor societies.
* Helen E. Lowe '91, majoring in communication and art, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald K. Lowe of Westminster. Helen, a 1987 graduate of Westminster High, is a two-year captain of the women's swimming team, and is also a member of the Phi Alpha Mu sorority, Omicron Delta Kappa, and the Trumpeters honor societies.
* Tracey L. Snyder '91, is the daughter of Mrs. Allan Snyder of Hampstead.
Tracey, a graduate of North Carroll High School, is majoring in physical education. She is captain of the women's track and field hockey squads, and is active in the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority, varsity field hockey, track, and swimming, as well as being an assistant with TARGET Inc., the non-profit developmentally disabled support group staffed by WMC students.
* Meeghan A. Ziolkowski '91, majoring in religious studies and philosophy, is the daughter of Rita Ziolkowski of Westminster. She is a 1987 graduate of Westminster High School. Meeghan is a founding member of the Student Environmental Action Coalition on the WMC campus, and was recently named a winner of the Time magazine College Achievement Award for her work in educating others about the environment.