The holiday season is a very special time for everyone, and exchanging gifts is one of the highlights.
If I were Santa Claus, here are some of the gifts I would give to the drivers and fans of motor sports in Carroll County.
* To Charlie Schaffer of Hampstead: The late-model championship at Lincoln Speedway.
* For Jessie Wentz of Manchester: Five orders for new sprint car chassis and a couple of wins at Lincoln.
* To race fans: Expressways from Carroll to 75-80 Dragway, and Hagerstown, Lincoln and Trail-Way speedways -- with no radar traps.
* To Wayne and Jackie Wachter of Mason-Dixon Dragway: Good weather every weekend.
* For Larry Hoff of Westminster: Another Hoff to bring into drag racing and a free ride in a Chevrolet.
* To Butch Groff of Taylorsville: The opportunity to turn professional with his Mud Masters mud-bogger.
* For all the drag racers from Carroll County: A clean sweep at the Keystone Nationals at Maple Grove Dragway.
* To Michael Goldsmith of Hampstead: A GT-P championship for his yellow Ford Pinto in the Middle Atlantic Racing Series.
* For the Wilcom family: Good weather and many more years of good health.
* To Veronica Chasen of Taneytown: The 1970 Monte Carlo her husband, Scott, has been working on so long.
* For Ken Plesser of Eldersburg: The Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Series Championship.
* To Rick Schmelyum Jr. of Silver Run: A complete season with a couple of feature wins in the super sprints at Lincoln.
* For Norman and Pat Sellers of Manchester: Lots of snow in Canada for his annual snowmobile vacation (leave the snow up there when you return).
* To Charles Hoff Jr. of Westminster: More Farmall antique tractors to fiddle with.
* For Al Delisle of Sykesville: Not only success in his Austin Healy Sprite at Summit Point (W.Va.) Raceway, but success on the board of directors of the Baltimore-D.C. region of the Sports Car Club of America.
* To Rick Jones of Westminster: A couple of feature wins in his new late-model ride.
* To Gary Stuhler of Westminster: Another track championship at Winchester and a Busch Grand National Ride.
* For Greg Boutwell of Hampstead: No broken bones, no injuries and no blown engines.
* To Barry Hesson of Manchester: A successful comeback in his modified snowmobile.
* For Corey Hess of Taneytown: A Super-Pro Car to run on the NHRA National Circuit.
* To Chuck and Larie Taylor of Westminster: That major sponsor they have worked so hard for.
* To Malcolm, Marion and Marvin Ford of Carroll County: Continued growth of the bike field at 75-80.
* For Tracy Meadowcraft of Hampstead: A car of her own to race at Trail-Way Speedway in the four-cylinder class.
* To Dennis Meadowcraft of Hampstead: A major recording contract for his band.
* For Brad McClelland of Westminster: A super sprint car to fulfill his racing dreams.
* To Haga Brothers of Gamber: Success in their snowmobile racing in Pennsylvania and New York.
* To Kenny Hommerbocker and Bernie DeGroft of Demolition Derby Fame: A job as Hollywood stunt men.
* For Roger Jorss of Westminster: Known as "King of the Cheap" -- but really a millionaire -- another year ending in the black.
* To Larry Feeser of Millers: A track championship in the Thundercar Division at Susquehanna.
* For Dave Green of Westminster: A Ford to race in the Thundercars.
* To Jeff and Judd Shepard of Finksburg: A tie for the points title at Lincoln Speedway.
* For Garry Herman of Manchester: More top-10 finishes that include feature wins.
* To Bob Widner of Manchester: A couple of wins in his new Semi-late Model at Lincoln Speedway.
* For Don Zechman of Westminster: Success in the Late-Models that he enjoyed in the semi-lates.
* To Mike Harrison of Mount Airy: The Limited Late-Model championship at Hagerstown for 1991.
* For Walt Shriver of Union Mills: Continued good health for the 82-year-old engine-builder.
* For Jussi Hautaniemi of Finland and Brad Schwab of Eldersburg: The American Motorcycle Association Pro Twins GP II Series U.S. National Championship.
* To Al Shawver of Hagerstown: More orders than he can fill for his chassis.
* For Todd Harris of Westminster: A successful year on the national circuit with his Castrol GTX racing team.
* For all Carroll motor sports competitors: Good health, sponsors, fun and lots of wins.
* For this writer: Another year of meeting great people from Carroll involved in motor sports.