Man charged in slaying at Waverly shop

December 21, 1990|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

A young Waverly man was charged early today with murdering a Waverly barber who was shot inside his Greenmount Avenue shop.

Freddie Lee Bradshaw, of the 500 block of E. 36th St., was arrested near the scene within five minutes of the shooting last evening, police said.

Bradshaw was questioned for several hours and was charged with first-degree murder and attempted armed robbery. Bradshaw faced a bail review hearing in District Court today, his 21st birthday, police said.

Bradshaw is charged with murdering James Remsburg, 52, of the 4200 block of Audrey Ave., owner of Jim's Barber Shop in the 3000 block of Greenmount Ave.

Police said Remsburg was in his shop about 6:30 o'clock when two men, one armed with a revolver, walked in and announced a holdup.

Homicide detective James Hagin declined to reveal details of what happened then except to say Remsburg was shot at least once in the chest and died almost immediately.

Hagin said two city police officers, Sgt. George Bewley and Officer Wanda Dobbins, of the Northern District, were stopped in a police car at a traffic light at Greenmount and 31st Street when they heard two gunshots and saw two men running from the barber shop.

Bewley entered the shop while Dobbins chased both men.

The suspects split up, but one was caught by Dobbins and Officer Brady Thomas, who was on foot patrol.

The second man escaped.

Police recovered a .38-caliber revolver from under a porch at Montpelier and Mathews streets.

Hagin said local residents described the barber as a friendly man who had owned the shop for several years.

An autopsy was to be performed today to determine how many times the barber was shot.

It was the second time this week a city barber was fatally shot during a robbery attempt, police said. In the other killing, Derek Session, 23, of the 1500 block of Gorsuch Ave., who worked part time in his father's Kirk Avenue barber shop, was shot and killed during an attempted robbery outside a carryout in the 2600 block of Harford Road.

Police said a man armed with a handgun stopped Session as he left the store about 11 p.m. Tuesday and demanded his jewelry. A struggle ensued and Session was fatally shot in the neck.

A first-degree murder warrant has been issued for Kenneth Lambert, 25, of the 2000 block of Kennedy Ave., in that killing.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.