Morton Eisen, a Baltimore native and shoe importer who...

Deaths elsewhere

December 20, 1990

Morton Eisen, a Baltimore native and shoe importer who touched off a court battle in the 1970s over payment of costs in class-action lawsuits, died of complications from lung cancer Sunday at the Hospice by the Sea in Boca Raton, Fla. He was 75. In 1971 Mr. Eisen sued the New York Stock Exchange and two member firms, contending that investors who bought "odd lots" of fewer than 100 shares of a stock were unfairly charged higher brokerage fees than buyers of larger blocks. In one phase of the complex suit he won a U.S. District Court ruling that the exchange and the member firms had to pay 90 percent of the cost of public notices inviting other investors to join the lawsuit. The case went twice to the U.S. Supreme Court before an appeals court nullified the lower-court ruling and directed plaintiffs seeking to recover damages for a class of investors to bear the cost of notifying the other investors. Lawyers said the decision inhibited class-action suits where money damages are sought -- which made up a third of the class-action suits in federal court at the time, as opposed to political and civil-rights suits that simply seek to compel a course of action.

Clarence A. Monroe, the chief engineer for Levitt & Sons, builders of the huge Levittown communities after World War II, died Dec. 13 of bone cancer at his home in Haddonfield, N.J. He was 90. Mr. Monroe, an orphan who was reared in a foster home in New York City, earned licenses as a surveyor and a professional engineer through correspondence courses. In the 1920s he worked for Carl Fisher, the developer, in Montauk, N.Y. When he opened an engineering firm in Manhasset, Levitt was one of his first clients. Eventually he went to work full time for Levitt, planning the layout, utilities, public areas and support systems for Levittown, N.Y., Levittown, Pa., and Willingboro, N.J., as well as smaller Levitt developments in Bel Air, Md.,

Puerto Rico and Paris. He retired in 1969 after 40 years with the concern.

Dr. Samuel Berg, who led a research team of doctors into Nagasaki, Japan, after the second atomic bomb was dropped there in World War II, died at age 92 Saturday at his home in Newark, N.J. During the war he served in the Army Medical Corps. After three years in the South Pacific, he was assigned to the Atom Bomb Medical Research Commission. They went into Japan within three weeks after the bomb was dropped on Nagasaki and surveyed the effects of radioactive fallout.

Dr. Francis C. Wood, a medical educator who took part in research that perfected the electrocardiogram as a diagnostic device, died Sunday of a stroke at his home in Haverford, Pa. He was 89. He was chairman emeritus of the department of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. Dr. Wood's research in heart disease in the 1930s led to development of chest leads for electrocardiograms.

John E. Maguire, a former U.S. marshal and a shipmate of John F. Kennedy on PT-109, died at age 74 Sunday in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. The cause of death was not disclosed. Mr. Maguire served eight years as U.S. marshal for the 33-county middle district of Florida after being appointed by President Kennedy in 1961. During World War II, he served under Kennedy, an ensign commanding the patrol boat PT-109.

Theodore C. Marrs, a retired Air Force brigadier general and aide to President Gerald R. Ford, died Monday at age 72. The cause of death was not disclosed. Mr. Marrs was named a special assistant for human resources by President Ford in 1974. Mr. Marrs had been deputy secretary of defense for reserve affairs under President Richard M. Nixon.

Wesley C. Clark, former dean of the School of Journalism at Syracuse University, died Tuesday in Syracuse, N.Y. He was 83. Mr. Clark was a reporter and columnist for the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin for nearly 10 years. From 1937 to 1941, he also was an instructor in public opinion and American government at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He went to work at Syracuse in 1941 and was dean from 1952 until 1971.

Anne Kallem, an editor at Sterling Publishing Co. in New York for 26 years, died Sunday of lung cancer at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Medical Center. She was 61. She was managing editor emeritus of the company.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.