St. Mary's was unable to sustain a 28-20 halftime lead, as visiting Mount Hebron stormed to a 57-46 come-from-behind win in non-league boys basketball action yesterday.
"We played very well during the first half, but they (Mount Hebron) just came out smoking in the beginning of the second half," Saints head coach Jim Sheehan said. "Our shot selection fell way off in the second half. We just didn't know how to react to their pressure defense. We couldn't even keep them off of the offensive boards."
Rob Chomo and Greg Geiger each scored 14 points for 1-4 St. Mary's.
"Losing Brian Levy and Kevin Crawford (to graduation) has really left us soft in the middle. Right now, we have two guys playing down low who just aren't used to playing with their backs to the basket. It's just a lot to ask from two guys playing in an unfamiliar situation," Sheehan said.
MCDONOGH GIRLS SLAY SEVERN IN HOOPS
The Severn girls basketball squad saw its record fall to 1-2 when it was trounced by McDonogh, 45-18, yesterday.
Suzanne Weinberg led the Admirals with eight points.
"We didn't play very well," Severn head coach Rhonda Warmsley said. "Our defense wasn't that bad, but we just couldn't buy a basket."
SPALDING PINS SEVERN WITH 0-2 RECORD
Archbishop Spalding dismantled host Severn, 42-15, in a Maryland Scholastic Association C conference wrestling dual meet yesterday afternoon.
The victorious Cavs recorded four pins out of the seven contested matches, raising their dual-meet record to 1-1. The Admirals slipped to 0-2.
Individual results were:
* 103 -- Don Kerr (AS) pinned Chris Thompson at 3:43
* 112 -- Dave Astle (S) decisioned Chris Snead 9-6.
* 119 -- Mike Brown (S) won by forfeit.
* 130 -- Sanjay Manickam (S) pinned Dennis Fohner at 3:17.
* 135 -- Al Prioleau (AS) pinned Geoff Taylor at 1:55.
* 140 -- Steve Harris (AS) pinned Ed Han at 3:40.
* 145 -- Jack Bailey (AS) pinned Mark Robinson at 1:00.
* 152 -- Carlos Santoni (AS) won by forfeit.
* 160 -- Taek Kim (S) won by forfeit.
* 171 -- Osric Prioleau (S) won by forfeit.
* 189 -- Double forfeit.
* Hvy. -- Double forfeit.