Hospital test due kidnap suspect

December 13, 1990|By Kevin Thomas | Kevin Thomas,Evening Sun Staff

Dale Leroy Knight, the man accused of kidnapping a 6-year-old Glen Burnie girl and sexually molesting her, has been ordered held without bond pending a psychiatric evaluation to determine his fitness to stand trial.

Knight, 34, of Glen Burnie, sat before Judge Joseph Manck yesterday for a bond review hearing wearing handcuffs and leg shackles. He spoke incoherently at first before answering "yes" when asked if he understood the charges against him.

Manck ordered Knight transferred to the Crownsville Hospital Center, a state psychiatric facility, for evaluation to determine whether he is competent and would be able to stand trial.

Knight surrendered to Anne Arundel County police Tuesday and was charged with one count of kidnapping, one count of a second-degree sex offense and two counts of attempted kidnapping. All of the kidnapping and attempted kidnapping charges involve minors.

Knight's bond was originally set at $400,000, but Manck revoked that yesterday, so he will be held without bail until a trial unless he appeals for and wins bail later.

A pretrial investigator at the hearing told Manck that Knight was under "suicide supervision" at the detention center, but she would not elaborate. It also was revealed yesterday that Knight had a nervous breakdown in 1986, but no additional details were provided.

At the beginning of the hearing, Knight, who wore a beard, mustache and tinted sunglasses, spoke in a muffled voice of not wanting a bond review hearing. He then responded directly to Manck's questions.

When asked if he had an attorney, Knight responded, "yes, he come today. Public defender."

The charges against Knight include a sexual assault offense involving 6-year-old Lindsay Saxon, who was abducted from the Point Pleasant Elementary School playground near her home in Glen Burnie Sunday afternoon.

The girl escaped after her abductor's car got stuck in mud near Furnace Avenue in Howard County. She was then able to alert other adults that she had been kidnapped.

The two attempted kidnapping charges involve two Glen Burnie girls ages 5 and 12, who had been approached while at a playground on Crainmount Drive.

The attempted abduction of the 5-year-old took place Sunday morning before Lindsay was abducted. In that instance, police said, the girl attracted bystanders by screaming, which forced the kidnapper to flee.

The 12-year-old girl told police that the man who attempted to abduct her tried to grab her, but she struggled and he fled.

Sunday's abduction of Lindsay occurred in front of her 9-year-old sister, Michelle, police said. Police said both children identified Knight from a photograph yesterday morning after he turned himself in at the county police Northern District precinct.

During the hearing yesterday, Knight was said to have been using cocaine and PCP for at least a year.

A spokeswoman for the Maryland Division of Parole and Probation yesterday confirmed that Knight had been convicted of possessing PCP last year in Washington and was on probation.

U.S. Park Police, who had made the arrest in Washington last January, yesterday also requested that Knight be held without bond.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.