Arundel judge revokes bond for kidnapping suspect

December 13, 1990|By Kris Antonelliand Peter Jensen

Anne Arundel District Judge Joseph Manck revoked a $400,000 bond for Dale LeRoy Knight yesterday and ordered the Glen Burnie kidnapping suspect to undergo psychological evaluation.

The 34-year-old defendant was returned to the county Detention Center after his bail review hearing in Annapolis.

He is accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl and of trying to abduct two other girls.

Mr. Knight, who surrendered to police Tuesday, has been accused of violent behavior before, court records indicate. In a 1986 divorce proceeding, his wife, Darlene Adele Knight, claimed that he physically assaulted her and their 10-year-old child and threatened to kill them both.

The civil complaint filed by Mrs. Knight had alleged that her husband became violent and threatened to kill her during an argument the evening of Aug. 29, 1986. During the quarrel, he allegedly smashed all the furniture in their home in the 1200 block of Collins Avenue in Odenton.

Sgt. Joseph H. Bisesi, an Anne Arundel police spokesman, confirmed that officers investigated a complaint of a domestic dispute at the couple's home that day.

Officers observed broken dishes and furnishings at the home and noted that Mr. Knight appeared to be intoxicated, Sergeant Bisesi said.

Mr. Knight asked to be treated for alcohol detoxification and was taken to North Arundel General Hospital, Sergeant Bisesi said. No charges were filed against him as a result of the incident.

Mrs. Knight also alleged in the divorce complaint that her husband had a drug and alcohol problem and became extremely violent when intoxicated.

Mr. Knight denied those allegations, court records show.

The couple married in a civil ceremony July 29, 1976. They were divorced in 1988 and Mr. Knight was ordered to pay $35 a week in child support, records show.

Mr. Knight is accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting Lindsay Michelle Saxon of Glen Burnie on Sunday. She had been playing with friends behind Point Pleasant Elementary School when a man picked her up and forced her into his car.

She escaped her abductor when he allowed her to go to a Howard County home to use the bathroom and she told adults there of her abduction.

Mr. Knight also is charged in the attempted kidnappings of a 6-year-old Glen Burnie girl that same day and a 12-year-old Glen Burnie girl Sept. 30.

Residents in the Point Pleasant neighborhood where Mr. Knight's mother lives said they were shocked when they heard of the charges.

"No, not Dale," said Hobert Phillips, who lives next door to the suspect's mother. "It really knocked me for a loop. He seemed like a nice fellow. He'd come up here and go crabbing and drink a few beers."

Tracy Ziranski, a neighbor whose two children attend Point Pleasant Elementary, said her children used to play with Mr. Knight's nieces.

"It hits close to home when I heard about the school, but then I found out who it was -- that made it even worse," she said.

Mr. Knight, a former employee of Structural Steel Fabricators on West Nursery Road, was on probation for an out-of-state narcotics conviction. He had been arrested by U.S. Park Police in January on charges of possessing PCP with intent to distribute.

Ms. Antonelli is a reporter for the Anne Arundel County Sun, a suburban edition of The Baltimore Sun.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.