Design firm renovates schoolhouse for offices

Commercial real estate

December 12, 1990

Jesse Benesch & Associates, an interior design firm, has purchased a 175-year-old former schoolhouse in Baltimore County for its new offices.

The firm bought the historic stone school at 119 Old Court Road in Pikesville for an undisclosed amount.

"Knowing that our lease would be up, we decided to look for new offices and selected this fabulous historic structure for its special character and history," said Keith Gasser, president of the firm.

Gasser created a contemporary design for the landmark. The inside of the building was completely renovated and new plumbing, heating and phone systems were installed.

The one-room building was divided into several work stations, creating offices and studio space of 1,200 square feet.

The 1 1/2 -story building was originally constructed for a schoolhouse. In 1835 it was converted to the Mettam Memorial Baptist Church. After 1966, it was used by the Pikesville Lions Club and the Stevens Garden Club.

The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

Jesse Benesch & Associates provides design services to both residential and corporate clients.


Following are some local commerial real estate transactions.

* Peters Pediatric Nursing Team has leased 3,111 square feet of space at 3905 National Drive, according to Coldwell Banker Commerical Real Estate Services.

* French Homes, Inc. has leased 2,024 square feet of space at White Marsh Business Center, 5024 Campbell Blvd., according to Notingham Properties Inc.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.