Chavez KOs Ahn in 3rd, Brown tops O'Neal in 1st

December 09, 1990|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,Sun Staff Correspondent

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Undefeated junior welterweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez of Mexico continued to strengthen his claim as the best fighter "pound for pound" in the world by disposing of challenger Kyung-Duk Ahn of Korea after 2 minutes, 14 seconds of the third round of their title match on the under card of last night's Mike Tyson-Alex Stewart fight at the Convention Center.

Earlier, International Boxing Federation welterweight champion Simon Brown, testing the junior middleweight division for the first time, needed only 1:53 to dispose of Ozzie O'Neal of Youngstown, Ohio.

Chavez (73-0, 60 KOs) floored Ahn four times. After the last knockdown, Ahn got to his feet before the count of 10 and walked to his corner in a sign of surrender. Referee Tony Perez simply made it official.

Chavez, who owns both the WBC and IBF titles, felt Ahn (29-2, 13 KOs) out in an uneventful first round, but quickly took command in the second.

He first floored Ahn with a straight right. Ahn bounced up at the count of five, but fell against the ropes. Chavez pummeled him with a vicious body attack and Ahn sagged to the canvas, this time for a count of five.

The challenger began fighting back, drawing a sardonic smile from Chavez. Ahn still showed courage at the start of the third round, going toe-to-toe with the champion. It proved foolhardy. Another right hand on the chin convinced Ahn he had taken enough punishment.

Brown (35-1, 25 KOs) had an even easier night.

Brown, who recently parted company with his manager, Al Balboin, and his promoter, Don Elbaum, is apparently ready to strike a deal with Don King, who honored his request to appear on the Tyson-Stewart undercard in a scheduled 10-round tuneup.

Brown and his adviser, James Cooks, a Maryland attorney, said they were close to reaching a contractual agreement with King.

"Things are looking up," said Brown. "I don't think it will be long before we have a deal."

The New Jersey Boxing Commission had rejected two earlier opponents proposed by King's matchmaker, Al Braverman, before approving O'Neal, who reportedly owned a 14-9-2 record, but had been stopped in six of his last seven bouts.

The fight was less than 40 seconds old when the Jamaican-born Brown, who lives in Germantown, Md., decked O'Neal with a jolting left hook.

O'Neal beat the count, but Brown quickly moved into the kill and left O'Neal draped helplessly over the ropes before referee Frank Cappucino stopped the slaughter.

Elbaum was on hand in an attempt to attach Brown's purse. "Fighting O'Neal is an absolute joke," Elbaum said. "I don't know any other commission that would sanction it."

Brown, 26, who seems intent on fighting in a heavier weight class, said, "I'd like to challenge Sugar Ray Leonard or [IBF middleweight king] Michael Nunn. I've been in the back row. But I belong to be in the front row of fighters. I walk around at 154 pounds. Fighting at 160 would be no problem for me."

Faced with a mandatory defense of his 147-pound crown by January, Brown said he would probably relinquish his title unless he gets a chance to unify it by fighting current World Boxing Council champion Maurice Blocker, a close friend and former stablemate, or World Boxing Association champion Aaron Davis.

"Yes, I love Blocker, but if we have to fight, I'll do the same to him what I did to O'Neal tonight. I'm a warrior. I'll fight anybody. I chased [former WBC champion] Marlon Starling and [ex-WBA champion] Mark Breland. They both ran away from me and lost their titles."

Brown bristles when he reads claims by Leonard's manager, Mike Trainer, that he is "not marketable."

"Trainer keeps saying that, but I know a lot more boxing people know about me than the guy Sugar Ray is fighting for the title," said Brown, alluding to WBC junior-middleweight champion Terry Norris, who meets Leonard in Madison Square Garden Feb. 9.

"I've been knocking on Sugar Ray's door for four years, but he refuses to answer."

Heavyweight contender Donovan "Razor" Ruddock of Toronto was almost as quick as Brown in disposing of an inferior rival.

Ruddock (25-1-1, 18 KOs), who is reportedly in line for a match with Tyson in early 1990, stopped journeyman Mike Rouse (14-6-1), of Portsmouth, Va., at 2:37 of the first round.

The 238-pound Canadian floored Rouse twice with left hooks, the last time leaving his foe face down on the canvas when referee Tony Orlando signaled an end to the one-sided bout.

Ruddock had been scheduled to fight Tyson for the title in Edmonton, Alberta, in November 1989, but the fight was canceled when the champion complained of lung congestion. Fight insiders said the real reason was the lack of an advance ticket sale.

Three years ago, Tyrell Biggs, considered a bright prospect, challenged Mike Tyson for the heavyweight title and was stopped in the seventh round.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.