PHILADELPHIA -- He may have walked off the field a loser in the biggest game that the Naval Academy plays each year, but plebe fullback Brad Stramanak still had the winning attitude that coach George Chaump will be looking for in his second season next year.
Stramanak, starting his first game for Navy, scored on a 45-yarrun in the third quarter -- Navy's longest touchdown run from scrimmage this year. After the game his attitude was upbeat, and he already was looking forward to next season.
"I came from the Naval Academy prep school where we wer10-0, and I played junior varsity where we were 4-0 this season, and losing just doesn't come easy for me," Stramanak said. "Sure, losing hurts, and sure, losing to Army hurts. But the mentality is not just to beat Army anymore -- it's to beat everyone."
On playing against Army as a plebe, Stramanak said: "It was great experience." But when asked about his touchdown run, he replied, "It was very, very exciting. But it was all nullified by the final score."
* Willie McMillian's 35-yard touchdown pass to Myreon Williamwas Army's first against Navy since 1971 when Kingsley Fink tied the Army record against Navy with two TD passes.
* Alton Grizzard's second-quarter touchdown pass was his 12tof the season, a Navy single-season record. Bill Byrne set the previous record of 11 in 1984.
* The 30 points by Army were the most scored by the Cadetagainst Navy since 1949, when Army shut out the Midshipmen, 38-0.
* Mike Mayweather ran for 332 yards against Navy in his careersetting an Army record for most yards rushing in the series. The overall yardage record is 547, set by Eddie Meyers from 1978-81.
* The game marked the 67th time that the academies have mein Philadelphia, and the ninth time in Veterans Stadium. The teams have an agreement to play in Philadelphia through 2002, with an option to play elsewhere in two of the intervening years.
* Navy entered the game not having thrown an interceptioagainst Army in their past three meetings. Grizzard threw two yesterday.
* The last time that Army, which completed 28 passes all yearthrew more than nine pass completions against Navy was in 1983 when Bill Turner had 16.
* Patches from over 40 Navy and Marine Corps units currentloperating in Operation Desert Shield were worn on the right shoulders of all Navy players as a reminder of the U.S. presence in the Persian Gulf. Players have worn patches in the past, but yesterday was the first time that the patches they wore were of units actively engaged in a crisis.
* The Army-Navy series is now even at 42-42 with seven ties.