Speed merchants, take note! The 5-K has officially replaced the 10-K as running America's choice of race. Latest statistics compiled by The Athletics Congress show the shorter event moved past the old standby after being nowhere in sight two years ago.
* Dave Berardi (1:26:25) and the next two finishers, Jack Peach and Rod Young, dipped under 1:30 at the Metric Marathon in Columbia. Rose Malloy (1:40:26) was the top woman by minutes in the field of 675 starters.
* Jan Klecker picked up an extra $5,000 (raising her winnings to $13,000) for setting a course record while winning the California International Marathon last weekend in 2:30:42. The men's race was taken by New Zealander Pete Renner in 2:12:35.
* Bob Yara and Scott Douglas registered the same time (31:28) in the BRRC cross country 6-miler in Herring Run Park last Sunday. The event drew a strong field with the first nine runners breaking 33 minutes. The women's race was close, too: Maureen Hall (37:34) prevailed by 18 seconds over Stacey Nicholson.
* The No Frills Triathlon Dec. 16 has been moved to the West Howard Swim Club, which is on Old Frederick Road (Route 99) . . . Heading into the Annapolis Striders' last club championship series race Dec. 29, Jenny Lundeen, Brenda Norman, Linda Shanklin, Meredith Bonta, Yvonne Aasen, Christine Coon and Katie Foley lead their age categories.
* Lynn Jennings winning the Jesse Owens Award, which goes to our top track and field athlete for the year, is a breakthrough for road racers. Besides her work on the track, Lynn is the defending world and national cross country champion and holds the American record for a road 10-K.
* Cathleen Cosenza (22:03) and Lee Myers (16:23) led a 5-K field in a RASAC race conducted at the Harford Mall . . . Score the Arthritis 8-K for Tom Brown (26:36) and Bev Shooshan (32:17). Top masters were Eric Gyski and Phyllis Taylor.
* The Honolulu Marathon goes Sunday . . . Maryland ranks fourth among the states in Road Runners Club of America members . . . In a recent showdown between Grete Waitz and Rosa Mota in a women-only race in London, they went together until the mid-point, when Rosa sprinted away and won by 250 yards in 32:49.
* The RRCA's newsletter, Footnotes, reported a woman "let" a friend win, citing various reasons: "I was getting over a cold. I was up late the night before. I think my hamstring hurt. I should have worn a short-sleeve shirt. And my lipstick wore off."
Sunday: WRRC Frozen Finger 4-miler, Westminster, noon; RASAC half-marathon, Harmony, 9 a.m., Mistletoe 8-K, West Potomac Park, Washington, 8:30 a.m.
* Dec. 16: Dancer Dash 10-K, Cranberry Mall, Westminster, noon.
* Dec. 22: Santa's Sack 6-miler, Lake Montebello, 9:30 a.m.
* Dec. 29: Striders' 12th anniversary 15-K, St. John's College, Annapolis, 11 a.m.
* Dec. 30: Father Time Frolic 8-miler, Loch Raven, 9 a.m.; Winfield Mile, Cranberry Mall, Westminster, noon.
* Dec. 31: New Year's Eve Midnight Run 5-miler, Central Park, NYC, 212-737-7480.