NAVY VS. TOWSON STATE * WHEN: Tonight, 7:30.
* WHERE: Towson Center.
* RADIO: WCVT-FM 89.7; WNAV-AM 1430.
* OUTLOOK: The Tigers lead the series 3-0, having beaten the Midshipmen each of the last three seasons. Towson State (2-2) got both of its wins at the Beltway Classic, when junior guard Devin Boyd was the MVP. Senior guard Erik Harris, with a 20.5 average, is one of six players scoring in double figures for Navy (1-3), which is averaging 95.0 points per game but allowing 97.8. Navy coach Pete Herrmann has installed an up-tempo system, and the Tigers don't mind a fast pace.
LOYOLA VS. XAVIER * WHEN: Tonight, 8:05.
* WHERE: Cincinnati Gardens.
* OUTLOOK: The Greyhounds (2-2) are looking for a breakthrough victory, and it will be an upset if they beat Xavier, a Midwestern Collegiate Conference power that has been to the NCAA tournament five straight years. The Musketeers are 3-1 overall, the only loss coming by a 100-94 count in an MCC game against Ball State. The Loyola backcourt of Kevin Green (25.3 points) and Tracy Bergan will have its hands full with senior guards Michael Davenport and Jamal Walker, who are averaging 19.3 and 19.0 points, respectively.
ACC-BIG EAST CHALLENGE Georgia Tech vs. St. John's Duke vs. Georgetown * WHEN: Tonight, 7 and 9.
* WHERE: Capital Centre.
* TV/RADIO: ESPN.
* OUTLOOK: This should be the best doubleheader of the eight-game Challenge series. In the opener, No. 20 Georgia Tech (2-1), with the nation's best point guard in sophomore Kenny Anderson, will meet an underrated St. John's team (3-0) led by forward Malik Sealy.
The nightcap will pit two of the country's most traditionally stingy defenses in a battle of backcourt pressure games. Fifth-ranked Duke (5-1) will be the first significant test of the year for No. 6 Georgetown (3-0). This will be the first meeting between these two since Christian Laettner dominated Alonzo Mourning to help Duke gain the Final Four two years ago.
OTHER GAMES TONIGHT Men W. Maryland at Catholic, 7:30
Widener at Johns Hopkins, 8
Women Anne Arundel CC
at Prince George's CC, 3:30
Essex CC at CCB, 5:30
at Johns Hopkins, 6
Temple at Maryland, 7:30
American at UMBC, 7:30
GAMES TOMORROW Men UMES at Texas-El Paso, 9:30
Capitol at Goucher, 7
Bowie State at Shaw, 7:30
Frostburg at Mary Wash'gton, 8