Services for Lawrence W. Cameron, a retired chairman of the board of a chemical company who served as organist and choir director at several churches, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Grace English Lutheran Church, 8601 Valleyfield Road, Lutherville.
Mr. Cameron, who was 84, died Sunday of cancer at his home on Acorn Circle in Towson.
He retired in 1971 as chairman of the board of the Miller Chemical and Fertilizer Corp., which he served as president from 1953 until 1964.
Before starting with the Miller company in 1940, he worked for 20 years for the Griffith and Turner Co., which dealt in seed and feed.
The Baltimore native studied voice and choir directing at the Peabody Conservatory of Music. A tenor, he sang with the Baltimore and Ohio Glee Club and as a soloist with the choir of Christ Episcopal Church. He later became organist and choir director at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church and then at Huber Memorial United Church of Christ and at Christus Victor Lutheran Church. By the time he retired in 1986, he had become known as Pop.
For more than 30 years, starting in the 1950s, he owned a farm in the Highland area of Harford County, where he raised beef cattle.
His first wife, Virginia Cameron, died in 1933, and his second wife, the former Nancy Stewart, died in 1956.
He is survived by his wife, the former Grace B. Pearson; a son, the Rev. Lawrence S. Cameron of Towson; a daughter, Nancy Elaine Purrington of Suffield, Conn.; a stepdaughter, Margaret E. Potterfield of Parkville; a brother, Raymond M. Cameron of Los Angeles; and seven grandchildren.