Man loses four fingers as firecracker goes off

December 04, 1990

A 27-year-old Essex-area man was rushed to the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore early today after a large firecracker he was holding in his left hand exploded, blowing off four fingers and injuring his stomach, Baltimore County police said.

The man, Calvin B. Hoffeld, of the 4000 block of Briarpoint Road in Miami Beach, was listed in serious condition.

Police said Hoffeld was hosting several friends at a party when he decided to light a large firecracker and playfully throw it near his guests as they left about 3 a.m.

After Hoffeld lighted the device, police said, the last guest closed the front door. With the fuse burning, Hoffeld attempted to smother it by placing the firecracker in his clothing.

Police said the device went off, shredded Hoffeld's left hand, caused a large laceration to his stomach and blew out several windows of the front door.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.