3 Officers Accused Of Beating Man

December 04, 1990|By Paul Shread | Paul Shread,Staff writer

A Severna Park man has accused Annapolis police of using excessive force when they stopped him after a Clay Street shooting last week.

David Nealy, 30, of Jennings Road, yesterday filed a complaint with the department's Internal Affairs Division against three officers.

A police spokesman said Nealy's charges were unfounded.

Nealy said he was making a phone call outside a Clay Street pool hall Thursday night when shots were fired inside. Two men were wounded in the shooting, one seriously. No arrests have been made.

Nealy said he ran to his car and left the area to avoid getting hit by stray bullets. His cousin, Roland Johnson of Baltimore, was a passenger in the car.

Police, considering him a suspect, stopped Nealy near West Street and Woodlawn Avenue. Nealy said officers told him to get on the ground, then jumped on him and shoved him to the ground when he asked why. He said one officer put his foot on Nealy's throat and told him he was "making too much noise and better shut up."

Nealy said officers never read him his rights. He said they kicked him and punched him when they got to the police station, and said they wouldn't let him make a phone call. Nealy said one officer beat him with a portable radio.

Nealy went to Anne Arundel Medical Center at 11:30 p.m., about 2 hours after police stopped him. A spokeswoman at the hospital said Nealy was treated and released. Nealy said a blood test and a urinalysis, conducted while at the hospital, showed he was drug- and alcohol-free.

Police charged Nealy with disorderly conduct and assault and battery.

Police reports said Nealy was uncooperative and shouted obscenities when police stopped him. The reports said Nealy struck an officer with his shoulder and kicked him when they got to the police station.

One report characterized Nealy as "vulgar, obscene, combative and under the influence of an alcoholic beverage." Nealy called the reports "a joke."

Police spokesman Dermott Hickey said Nealy's size -- 6 feet 1 inch tall and 330 pounds -- made it tough to subdue him. "It took three, four guys to control him," Hickey said.

The three officers Nealy filed charges against are Cpl. Harold W. Dalton and Officers Stephen Church and Joseph E. McGeeney. Dalton and Church have been named in other excessive force complaints that are still under investigation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.