Arrest shocks victim's family Missing woman's boyfriend charged

December 03, 1990|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff

Members of the family of a 19-year-old woman who disappeared three weeks ago say are shocked and angry that the victim's boyfriend now has been charged with first-degree murder in the case.

The boyfriend participated in searches for the victim, who disappeared Nov. 12.

Shortly before noon Saturday, police arrested Guy Demetric Williams, 21, of the 5000 block of Denview Ave., and charged him with first-degree murder in the death of Melissa Watkins, of the same address.

Guy Williams, who was being held at the City Jail pending a bail hearing today, was arrested without incident at the home of Melissa Watkins' mother in the 3600 block of Erdman Ave., where her relatives said he often stayed during the last three weeks.

"He's been with the family since the ordeal happened, day in and day out," Tyrone Williams, 28, the victim's brother, said yesterday.

"It's shocking of course," he said of the boyfriend's arrest. "We're shocked and upset. Just angry right now. Right now, everyone's just waiting until we're given the complete details from the police."

Tyrone Williams said police told his family only that Guy Williams has been charged with first-degree murder.

The victim's mother is "shaking" physically and is refusing interviews, Tyrone Williams said.

Police spokesman Dennis Hill declined to disclose what evidence police have linking Williams to his girlfriend's death, and would say only, "We had sufficient evidence to get an arrest warrant."

"There's no motive yet, nor do we have a body or a murder weapon," Hill said. "But we're working on it," he said, adding that police are working "diligently" to find Watkins' body.

Police believe Watkins was fatally shot.

Watkins failed to return home Nov. 12 after she had purchased a leather coat from a store in Mondawmin Mall in West Baltimore, police said.

Two days later, in the 5400 block of Force Road in northeast Baltimore, police found the beige Ford Escort that Watkins had been driving.

After Watkins' disappearance, family members, friends and Guy Williams searched the city for the 1989 Dunbar High School graduate. They also printed and distributed hundreds of fliers with information about Watkins.

According to Watkins' brother, Guy Williams is a genial person. "He seemed to be a very nice guy," Tyrone Williams said. "He respected my family and my sister."

Guy Williams was recently laid off from a parts job at a Honda dealership, Tyrone Williams said.

Guy Williams and Melissa Watkins were parents of a daughter.

Tyrone Williams said he couldn't recall the couple arguing.

"Everything seemed to be fine," he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.